Stencils

Decorating By LadyG33 Updated 5 May 2009 , 5:17pm by bakingatthebeach

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 6

Can you buy and use the stencils that are made for paint on cakes?
Or do you have to buy the special cake stencils?

5 replies
MLopardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLopardi Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 6

I'm going to the craft store today to get some (Hooray for 50% off coupons!) I have a cake due next Wed. that will have stenciling on it. I'll share my experience! As long as they are very flexible and the right height, I can't see why they wouldn't work.

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 6

I've used craft stensils on cupcakes and cookies, worked well. Make sure you use brand new stensils and wash and sanitize prior to using.

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

you can also get blank stencil sheets (they're transparent and flimsy enough for a cake) and use an x-acto knife to carve out your own stencil design if you don't see any you like in the store, for example you can just print an image of a design you like from a google images search (or anywhere), trace it onto the blank stencil and cut it out. i was looking at stencils in walmart the other day and came across these blank ones so i got a pack of 2 & a x-acto knife, together prob cost about 3 or 4 bucks, haven't used em yet but i have em if i need em lol. icon_biggrin.gif

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks ladies! I have a blank stencil sheet I may have to live on the edge and make my own stencil!!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 6

The hatbox on the suitcase in my pics was done using a cheap stencil I bought at Michaels. Worked fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%