Help With Consultation

Decorating By justveggin Updated 4 May 2009 , 8:12pm by sweetcakes

justveggin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justveggin Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 4

What do you do when you know the cake a bride wants is going to be ugly no matter what you do?

I have a bride that wants a 3-tiered ivory round cake, the bottom two tiers stacked and the top on pedestals. She sent me two pictures but neither of them are anything like what she wants, she sent them to me to show what she didn't want.

Here's her description:
Ivory buttercream, silver ribbon around the bottom of the cakes, silver entertwined hearts piped around the cakes, baby pink and royal blue roses (one on each pedestal) and then her topper is white hearts. Oh, I forgot, she wants me to go around the bottom of the ribbon with the leaf tip and do a border (because she said, "she knows there is a leaf tip").

I did talk her into doing gumpaste roses instead of buttercream and asked if I could do a bud with a full flower and she said that was fine after I showed her what a gumpaste rose looked like.

Am I being closed minded? Can this cake really turn out okay? I tried to get her to go with just one color and silver but she wants it all on there. She just kept telling me how elegant and beautiful she wants her cake but every idea I had for her was turned down except the roses.

I'm so scared if I make what she wants it's going to be U-G-L-Y and then I'll be posting my "the bride didn't like her cake" story.

Maybe someone else has a better way to incorporate the colors and design together. I'm open to any ideas...hopefully she will be too! icon_wink.gif

3 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 4

If I were you, I would take her description, print it out, have her sign it and keep it with your contract (if you have one). If you follow her design and it turns out to be hideous (not because of what you did, just because it is a bad design to begin with) you will have the documentation to back up any claims she may make about you.
Do you have a template that you could try to work out a couple different designs using her description? If so, present those to her along with her description and have her sign the one she choses as well.
Some people just have different tastes. Instead of trying to talk her out of it, show her a mock up of what it may look like, and if she still likes it, make it. You will have the paperwork to cover your behind if she comes back with a complaint.

justveggin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justveggin Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you for your response. You've helped me know how to cover myself. I did ask to talk with her again showing her a drawing of the new changes she has made and she said she would bring her mom with her so maybe she will have some input too.

I just want her to have a beautiful cake for her wedding...hopefully by some miracle it will be pretty in spite of it all.

Thank you again!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 4

if you get to talk to her again, listen carefully, generally people will say at the end of a sentance, 'what do you think' not really expecting someone to voice their opinion, at this point i would make some suggestions, perhaps about incorperating the 3 colours of roses in the topper as opposed to their current placement. As the professional here i think you should make some suggestions using what she wants. Oh and certainly get her to sign a contract once the plans are set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%