Powder Residue

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 4 May 2009 , 12:42am by Misdawn

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 3 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I am making a gumpaste bow, one of the two-loop bows, for the top of a wedding cake due Friday. I ususally use Crisco instead of cornstarch when rolling out gumpaste or fondant simply because it has always worked better for me, but since it wasn't really working this morning, I tried cornstarch. Worked fine...no problems. The pieces are now drying and I'm wondering....how do I get the residue from the powder off the gumpaste? It's very dull in color right now because of the powdery residue. I tried to do a search but came up with nothing on this. I will be dusting the bow with red lustre dust once assembled and dry, but I really want it to be as bright red as possible...not this dull blah red right now.

4 replies
Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 5

Brushing with a small dry brush usually works. If not, try it slightly dampened. HTH icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 5

I tried brushing it with a dry brush. That got a lot of it, but there are still some spots where there was more cornstarch. Those spots just won't go away. I tried wet too. Didn't help. Now I have to wait for those spots to dry before I can try something else.

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:40am
post #4 of 5

Try airbrushing it with vodka. That always works for me.

Misdawn Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #5 of 5

I'd love to, but I don't have an airbrush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%