Mmf Stars?????

Decorating By pbeckwith Updated 3 May 2009 , 4:53pm by Katiekatiekatie

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 6

I'm just a home baker - for friends and family and whenever I've had a question, you folks are so prompt to answer and have been such a help to me. I'm always checking the site - my husband says I'm obsessive. But I love this site and love looking at all the beautiful work you do.

Anyways, I'm doing a 3 tiered cake with buttercream and want to put white, black and red stars on it and on wires also. I've only ever worked with mmf a couple times and never used any other kind of fondant. Will the mmf be too soft to do this or should I use another kind of fondant? And should I make the stars a week or so in advance to be sure they "set up"? Also, when I make black icing for my cookies, I usually put cocoa powder in it along with the powdered sugar - don't have to use so much black color. Can you do the same for the black mmf?

Thank you so much.

5 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 6

MMF should be fine if you make them early enough to dry (a week should be good). I'm not sure about adding cocoa powder to the MMF...it should be fine as long as you leave out some of the PS, so the consistency isn't affected.

pbeckwith Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much. I'm excited about doing this cake - it's a graduation cake for a friend and of course the school colors are red, black and white. I'm just hoping the stars on the wires work out for me.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 6

I have only made a few cakes but one of the first that I made had MMF stars on wire.I made them a week before and put the wire in before and left them out to dry. I recently made a chocolate fondant( with coco powder) that I mixed with black coloring and when I got in on the cake I noticed small streaks that looked brown. So learn from my mistake MIX WELL! Some of the stars looked a bit dry so I painted some dry luster dust on them in matching colors. Use a sturdy wire 22 gauge is what I used and I was able to curl them and put them where I wanted. Hope this helps!

Katie

pbeckwith Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the tip about mixing the cocoa. And I'm going to go check my wires right now. I'm not sure what gauge I bought - might have to make another trip to the store. Thank you.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 6

You can actually twist the wire if you didnt purchase a heavy enough gauge but that gets tricky to make it perfect. Or make smaller stars test it out before you head out to the store!

thumbs_up.gif
Katie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%