Will Fondant Bow Droop In Frig?

Decorating By Tug Updated 3 May 2009 , 11:14am by deliciously_decadent

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:54am
post #1 of 11

Help, my buttercream is very soft so I want the cake to be refrigerated (mostly to prevent bulging). I have fondant polka dot accents on the cake and a large fondant bow on top.
The lady is picking up the cake soon and I told her to keep the cake in the frig and that she may have it out on display the last 2 hours of the baby shower.
I'm very worried that the fondant bow will droop. Help!

10 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 11

I've tried refrigerating delicate gumpaste figures and never had a problem with it.

Tug Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 11

Rylan Ty, thanks for responding. I thought gumpaste was stronger than regular fondant because it had an extra ingredient? Please correct me if I'm wrong....I'm really worried about this bow.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 11

I never, ever put anything fondant in the fridge. I've never had any luck with it. I just keep it in a cool place...under a low speed ceiling fan, for example.

I delivered a bridal shower cake last summer to our country club, and specifically told them NOT to put the cake in the cooler...ALL fondant accents, bow topper, loop bows, etc. Well, they put it into the cooler anyway, and when the hostess showed up to begin decorating, the cake was a mess. All of the fondant decorations had ran down the sides of the cake, and the bow was mush. Luckily, I got a picture beforehand, and the staff admitted that they were told NOT to place the cake into the cooler.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 11

I'm not sure if hardened gumpaste is stronger than hardened fondant but gumpaste is a lot easier to mold and dries up really fast. You can actually turn your fondant into gumpaste instantly by adding tylose.

Anyway, I would think that fondant bows would be ok once it has hardened.

I would suggest that you don't refrigerate it since some people get problems with condensation. I pesonally neved had a problem with that.

Good luck.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 11

can you just put the cake in the fridge and wait to put the bow on top? That way the bow won't turn into a wilted mess.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

can you just put the cake in the fridge and wait to put the bow on top? That way the bow won't turn into a wilted mess.

That would be my recommendation also.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 11

Fondant alone will rehydrate, so keep that bow out of the fridge.

In the future, if you make the bow using a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant, it will harden very strongly and will not soften in the fridge.

Tug Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #9 of 11

Thank you for all the responses. I will use the advise of making my fondant bow mixed with gumpaste next time so I won't have to freak out.

The lady picked up the cake and I suggested to her to remove the top bow while the cake was refridgerated and to replace it once she takes the cake out to display. Crossing my fingers she doesn't call to complain.

Thanks again everyone.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #10 of 11

I wondered this the other week. I had made a gumpaste bow and was concerned that the customer wasnt going to eat the cake for 2-3 days so I was considering telling her to put it in the fridge. The bows probably were not completely 100% dry, but definitely strong enough to hold the shape well (maybe had been drying 48 hours?) Anyway, I put an extra piece of the bow in the fridge for only a few hours and it was already softening. I don't think I'll try it again.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 3 May 2009 , 11:14am
post #11 of 11

yes it will sag, the colour may also bleed onto the buttercream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%