Peti Four With Initial On Top

Decorating By cjlpn Updated 3 May 2009 , 7:48pm by drakegore

cjlpn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjlpn Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 7

I am planning to make peti fours for the first time for a bridal shower at work. I plan on using white chocolate . I would like to put an initial on top of each one. What would be the best way to do this. I must confess, I have very little equipment to work with as I am newly interested in this type of thing. Also , from what I have read I could use some type of crystals to thin the chocolate. I live in a rual area and I can't find it anywhere. What could I thin the chocolate with besides the paramount crystals. I must add, I don't have time to order any because the shower is Thursday.

6 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 7

Why do you want to thin the chocolate? It won't set up hard if you do that. If you just want it so that you can use a squeeze bottle or something like that, just heat it until it melts.

Unless you're looking to make something more like a ganache coating to pour on. In which case, you use cream and chocolate, and you can search the recipe box for specifics.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 7

cjlpn, it depends on what kind of chocolate you are using. White is softer, so you might be okay without paramount crystals, but a lot of people add some shortening (like Crisco) instead of the crystals. I haven't ever tried, so I don't know how much, but you could post that question in another thread and I'm sure you would get some good information.

The purpose of the paramount crystals/shortening is to make the chocolate soft enough so that you can bite through it without either smashing the cake inside or having the chocolate shatter. I have done them using Ghiradelli Candy Making & Dipping Bars. They aren't "real" chocolate and the coating was fine without adding anything.

I have used colored candy melts to decorate the top of my petit fours. If you have any available, I'll bet you could do the initials with it. If you want to color your white chocolate for the initials, you will need to have either powder or candy colors. The regular cake colors won't work because of the water content. You could also use fondant or gumpaste for the initials and put them on top of the chocolate after it sets.

HTH ....

Martha

cjlpn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjlpn Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for your help. I will try that

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 7

i don't know anything about the crystals, but have you considered just using corn syrup and making "chocolate clay"? it is pliable chocolate that can be bit or cut thru (think tootsie roll). you can use cutters if you have them to make the intials.

you could also roll it into a thin rope and style the letters that way.

diane

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

have you considered just using corn syrup and making "chocolate clay"? it is pliable chocolate that can be bit or cut thru (think tootsie roll). you can use cutters if you have them to make the intials. diane

Paramount crystals or shortening would be used if the petit fours are going to be covered with chocolate. I might have misunderstood the original question ...

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 7

no, i think it was me, lol.
i thought she wanted chocolate monograms but i went back and reread and i think i got it wrong (not the first time icon_biggrin.gif )
diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%