Octopus Help

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 2 May 2009 , 9:41pm by BeeBoos-8599_

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 7

OK, I have a client who wants me to duplicate a plush toy octopus that her baby loves for the 1st b-day cake. I have decided to use the sports ball pan for the main body/head of the little creature but I am having trouble deciding what to use for the tenticals. His tenticals lay straight out from his sides and are puffy with a rounded tip and are tappered where they join the body. What would you suggest to get the shape of the legs? I think they want to put it on a sheet cake then take it off and give it to baby for a smash cake.

6 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have a picture of the toy?

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 7

Use your Makin clay gun, then hand mold the ends as you want...they'll be consistent that way and easier to shape!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 7

nordic ware actually makes a cute octopus cake pan, I saw it at the WilliamsSonoma outlet

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 7

I would probably do RKTs covered in fondant (or buttercream) to match the body. This way you can get a realistic look and shape in whatever size you need for each tenticals.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #6 of 7

What ^^^^she^^^^ said.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 7

I do not have a picture of the octopus that I can post. If you google beby einstien octopus you will see 2 of them. One is a puppet with curly legs and the other is the one I am doing. He has a dot on each leg that has a picture of a cloud, grapes, the sun etc and the bab y pushes them to make different sounds. I like the idea of RKT's. I have wanted to try them and never had something to do it on. I just hope I can get them consistant in shape and size. Maybe I can make a mold of some sort to push them into? Any thoughts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%