Planet Cake Book - Is It Tasty?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 7 May 2009 , 5:23pm by FlourPots

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #31 of 40

I've just been stalking their website (since seeing this forum) and am wondering if the book includes instructions on their beautiful GP flowers. Anyone know?

Thanks!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #32 of 40

You're welcome, drakegore icon_smile.gif .

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #33 of 40

Geez, I bought a UK version of this book which has yet to arrive, I'm wondering if it will have overseas measurements (with the US release having standard measurements)? Last year I bought a book from Peggy Porschen overseas thinking it was a different book but it was the same as an American book that she put out with a different title and different measurements. icon_confused.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:28pm
post #34 of 40

bobwonderbuns - It was released in the UK (believe it or not) before it was released here - go figure icon_confused.gif
The PC book will be exactely the same world wide - and i am hoping for your sake it has your convesations/measurements.
Many of us over here where hoping that they would have their famous Wonkly/TopsTurvey cake in it but no icon_sad.gif
Lots of Kids cakes in it - icon_confused.gif
I had a good read of it in one of our local book shops - but decided against buying it - don't do enough kids cakes - but the recipes are great to have.

I can type up the Aust/USA conversations for you if you wish - you know from Imperial to metric.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:09pm
post #35 of 40

I did what Bluehue did - had a thorough look through the book in the bookshop but decided against purchasing it. I DO admire their style at PC, to me it seems like they employ a good number of graphic designers to get their stylish look. Overall though, the instructions were a bit basic, although the pictures are delicious icon_smile.gif

Bluehue - there are some great conversion websites around...I use them a lot for converting US recipes etc. Here's the link to one <http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm> ... you can click on other conversions (eg temperature, length etc). Wouldn't want you spending all nigth typing up conversions icon_wink.gif

Eve

Bluehue Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:23pm
post #36 of 40

LOL Evoir
yes - actually i thinkkkkkkkkkk i have that saved somewhere on my pc - icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

I was speaking to a lovely CC lady just this last week and we have arranged to swap s/s measuring cups and spoons - for those times when you open a book and the requirements are in USA/Australian measurements - and one can't be bothered running to the cp to grab the convesation (mind you i also think i have it printed out in a file - yes, i do.)
Just thought it something *different* to have and handy to have in the *second drawer* - lol lol

Re the PC book - have to agree - the pics are all very lovely and everything looks stunning - but perhaps i was hoping for more - not sure what - wellllllllll the mad hatters cake actually.
And the Cake with their *explosion* coming out the top isn't even in it -
I thought that would be in it for sure - icon_confused.gif

Bh icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #37 of 40

Hey - great idea about the measuring tools! I actually - ahem -"inherited" (read: I pinched!) a US 8oz measuring cup from my mother, LOL! I often use it for recipes I can't be bothered converting! And, so long as I remember a US tsp is 15ml (not 20ml) I am pretty go to go icon_wink.gif I moslty use the conversion websites for non-standard temperatures.

I am actually contemplating heading down to Sydney to do a PC course...to see if I can do the ganache thing first hand (then sell their secrets on CC, he heheh - JUST KIDDING!!)

Today is cookie-baking day for the Mother's day stall - yay! Fun for me...no kids all day, no husband, no errands to run - BLISS! I still owe you a PM BH....after the cookies I promise icon_wink.gif

Bluehue Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Hey - great idea about the measuring tools! I actually - ahem -"inherited" (read: I pinched!) a US 8oz measuring cup from my mother, LOL! I often use it for recipes I can't be bothered converting! And, so long as I remember a US tsp is 15ml (not 20ml) I am pretty go to go icon_wink.gif I moslty use the conversion websites for non-standard temperatures.

I am actually contemplating heading down to Sydney to do a PC course...to see if I can do the ganache thing first hand (then sell their secrets on CC, he heheh - JUST KIDDING!!)
Remember to charge top dollar - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Whether caking or ganaching - its your time icon_wink.gif

Today is cookie-baking day for the Mother's day stall - yay! Fun for me...no kids all day, no husband, no errands to run - BLISS! I still owe you a PM BH....after the cookies I promise icon_wink.gif
No mad panic - when time permits - thumbs_up.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

drakegore...this place has worldwide free shipping: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781741963182/Planet-Cake

I ordered from them once (a little Maisie Parrish book)...the customer service was great, and shipping was pretty quick considering how far it had to travel.

Flourpots, thanks for the great link. Free shipping is awesome and the price to the US was $22 and change. Great!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #40 of 40

You're welcome...glad to help icon_smile.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%