Why!

Decorating By crazymommyof3 Updated 9 May 2009 , 5:11am by txsteph

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:47am
post #1 of 24

I'm just really feeling crappy tonight. I am going to start teaching Wilton classes in June. The lady I took my classes from teaches at a competing store and doesn't like it there. Complains about it all the time. So why would I teach there, right?
So today she finally tells me she's pissed I'm going to teach at the competition. Long story short she goes on to say that I lack the technical skills to teach......and then she says that she's busted her a$$ for 10 years and she resents that I think I can match her skills after only 9 months.

WTH.

I am really hurt and want to curl up in a ball and bawl. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

23 replies
SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:55am
post #2 of 24

Wow...that's a crappy situation...Don't let stupid people bring you down.

My wilton instructor actually encouraged me to apply to teach...she would joke around everytime I would finish a cake that she was gonna tell people it was hers..lol

Just keep your head up and have fun doing your job icon_biggrin.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:56am
post #3 of 24

Dont curl up in a ball...where I come from, that lady is called a hater...you may not be familiar with the term but let me break it down for you...she's probably just oh so jealous that what took her 10 years to perfect, you can handle after 9 months. Haters come in all shape, sizes and colors...they sometimes even come in the form of friends.

Do your thing girl and don't let haters get up under your skin.

Congrats on your new teaching job, I'm sure you'll be great.

icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #4 of 24

It sounds like she's jealous of you, or she's insecure. She should realize that she must be a good teacher, if you learned so quickly from her that you're now ready to teach.

I don't think you should talk to her anymore, unless she approaches you with an apology (and even then you need to think about it some). You don't need someone that toxic in your life.

I know it hurts, though. Our skills are such an important part of ourselves that when someone insults them, it really stings. Once I applied for a bakery job and the woman was really rude and put my work down...when I had seen her website and knew I was at least on her level with buttercream, and beyond her with fondant. It took a while for me to get over it...and then I realized that I didn't need to care what a b!tch like that thought.

anyhow, ((((((((hugs))))))))) and (((((((more hugs))))))) I hope you feel better...eat some chocolate, tape a picture of her to a dart board and go at it, etc. I looked at your website and you're one talented lady, so don't let anyone tell you different!

crazymommyof3 Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:12am
post #5 of 24

Thanks for the kind words. This is someone who called herself my friend, so it hurts. I'm mad tonight. I'll probably cry tomorrow and then I'll get on with life and kick some caking butt. icon_wink.gif I feel like I should do an Arnold Terminator voice or something now.

"Come with me if you want cake."

Hahah. On that note, I need sleep. icon_smile.gif Thanks you guys.

bec714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec714 Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:57am
post #6 of 24

As a Wilton instructor, I'm mortified that you were treated like this, and I'm sorry. I would love to have a fellow instructor close enough to share stories and rely on for advice, especially a former student!

I would follow the advice of the previous posters-this woman isn't worth another moment of your time, and I really don't know how she can call herself a teacher if she can't be happy when her students succeed. I'm happiest when my students are doing beautiful things even if they go beyond what I've taught them.

You obviously have a great talent, and teaching can be so much fun. Don't let this bitter woman ruin one bit of your experience. If you need any encouraging words from another instructor, let me know.

Good luck.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:15am
post #7 of 24

Don't let her get you down. I have seen your cakes and you do great work. So just let her grumble and fuss....she will get over it and you just enjoy your class.

letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:24am
post #8 of 24

my WMI teacher is doing everything she can to try to help me get accepted and started teaching. i think your teacher is just plain ole mean. like the others here said, i'll bet she is just jealous.

keep going and don't let anyone get in your way. thumbs_up.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:49am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

Dont curl up in a ball...where I come from, that lady is called a hater...you may not be familiar with the term but let me break it down for you...she's probably just oh so jealous that what took her 10 years to perfect, you can handle after 9 months. Haters come in all shape, sizes and colors...they sometimes even come in the form of friends.

Do your thing girl and don't let haters get up under your skin.

Couldn't have said it any better!!! The haters make you greater and not to mention famous icon_wink.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:52am
post #10 of 24

Do an excellent job and move forward. There's always someone..............

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #11 of 24

I'll probably cry tomorrow and then I'll get on with life and kick some caking butt.

Have a cry (if you have too) and then that way you will rid yourself of all her hurt towards you and frustration.
THEN go do what you know you can do.........and shine. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Because she said it directely to you - it cuts deep.
Because we are reading what she said - we can see that she is jealous that you will be at that certain store/trying to undermind you and hoping that you swap stores.

I am sure just like bec714 many other WI would be just as mortified.

Stand tall - stand proud of becoming a WI and kick some *cake butt*
Then come back and tell us how grand it was and how you enjoyed being a WI instructor. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:10pm
post #12 of 24

Old grouch. Don't give it another thought, it would just be a waste of brain power. You do a great job on your cakes.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:20pm
post #13 of 24

that's messed up! wmis are supposed to uplift and encourage as well as instruct.

if you think about it, did she start teaching after 10 years?
did she know as much as you when she was at her nine month stage?
does she not know that even as an instructor there are gazillion things to be learned from the students?
obviously, wilton thought you had the skills...you passed their wmi assessment and they think you'll do just fine and the support given by them is an abundance. Although I'm sure it'd be great to have her support as well, thankfully it ain't a requirement.

all the best to you!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymommyof3

Long story short she goes on to say that I lack the technical skills to teach......and then she says that she's busted her a$$ for 10 years and she resents that I think I can match her skills after only 9 months.

Translation: You do have the skills, she's jealous and a little pissed off that someone else might get a "teacher" badge like she has. Next time you see her tell her to suck it! She isn't your friend, she's a frenemy. You're better off without friends like that!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:04pm
post #15 of 24

I had a similar situation with an instructor (not wilton) who turned on me after I experienced some successes...its sad but you need to have confidence in yourself and go forward icon_smile.gif

Don't waste too many tears on the bitter woman.

crazymommyof3 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #16 of 24

I've decided to let it go. She actually had the audacity to tell me that I couldn't accept constructive criticism. I didn't think any of what she said was constructive. ARgh.

So, on with the show.

On a higher note, all my Wilton instructor stuff came yesterday! Woot! Now to figure out what to do with it. icon_wink.gif A lot of paperwork.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #17 of 24

That package is packed full of helpful information! I'm glad you decided not to let it bother you.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 24

I too am appalled that a WMI would treat you that way!!
It can cause friction if she is at a competing store but she needs to get over it. You need to remember you are there to teach the 'Wilton Way' and ultimately sell the Wilton product; even if you are not technically a Wilton employee you still have the same boss so to speak.
About the box with paperwork etc. don't be overwhelmed it is really simple and your supervisor is there to help even if your fellow WMI isn't. BTW on your screening form did you list your instructor by name? If you did she will receive a $25 Thank you from Wilton to spend on product so she should be happy!!
Don't let her get you down, there are plenty more of us all to happy to welcome you to our ranks. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #19 of 24

Been a WMI for 5 years and can't imagine treating anyone, especially a former student that way.

Forge ahead! Read thru your package and absorb it all then go and do your job. You will be really good after a year and excellent after two years and then simply superb. Enjoy it. Ignore her.

You may have to see her at Instructor meetings. Be kind and polite. Take the high road. She will realize her silly, rude behaviour only embarrassed herself and showed maybe a little lack of self-confidence.

Enjoy your new job. Its a great one. I've never done anything I've enjoyed so much as being a WMI.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #20 of 24

If the store she teaches at is so horrible and the competition is so much nicer, then why is she still at the crappy store? Perhaps the nice store has standards that she doesn't meet, in that case, you got the job that's best for you and she got the job that's best for her. She's just jealous. Focus on your students, you'll have a class full of people saying wonderful things about you and one person talking smack.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #21 of 24

This reminds me of the 'friend' I had when I went to art college who kept telling me I'd always be "two years behind." She never could specify behind WHAT, and it came up every time we talked. I finally broke down and was talking to one of my instructors about it, and she told me that this so-called 'friend' was holding me back and that if she was a REAL friend, she'd be supporting me, not tearing me down.

Needless to say, the so-called 'friend' isn't anymore, and I went on to complete my degree.

Now if only I could use it on something other than hobbies...

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #22 of 24

Ok aside from her angry tone of voice and facial expressions... Gongratulations! That is the best compliment of all time. Someone so mad that you are THAT GOOD! Applauding you!!! Way to go!

crazymommyof3 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:43am
post #23 of 24

I keep going back and looking at my cake pics and I just can't figure out how I suck as bad as she said I do. I really don't see a difference in the quality of work. Makes me feel like I'm in the twilight zone. icon_razz.gif
But you ladies make me feel so much better. Thank you!

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:11am
post #24 of 24

I just looked at all your cakes on your site. Wow .. great job!! You definitely do not suck LOL. That lady must need glasses, or she wasn't looking at your cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%