Smbc . . . Help!!!!

Baking By clovely Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 4:59am by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to make SMBC (first time)...it's not forming peaks at all! What is going wrong? It's been beating forever! I've got ten eggs in here, I can't start this all over. Please help!

7 replies
craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 8

Sometimes when mine seems too soft I place it in the frig for alittle while and then take it out and whip it again.

clovely Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 8

I did that. It might've helped. I don't think I ever got stiff peaks, though. I've added all but one stick of butter and it's looking grainey. Is this going to be OK?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 8

When you are whipping to get stiff peaks it is before you add the butter. (just the egg whites and sugar) You did do that part right? Once you add the butter it will go through a process of looking grainy/curdled for awhile, then it should come together. Just keep beating. If it is soupy, it might be too warm.

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 8

This has happened to me a few times. My problem both times was that I didn't add the right amount of sugar that the recipe called for. Retrace your steps to make sure that you added the right amounts of egg whites and sugar. The recipe I use calls for 8oz. of egg whites to 1 lb. sugar. Also make sure that your sugar is completed dissolved before transferring to the mixer. Hope it works out for you.

clovely Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:27am
post #6 of 8

Thanks, everyone. I think I got it to work. I think I'll stick with my old recipes, though. It's not my favorite thing.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:42am
post #7 of 8

I use the 1,2,3 measurements for my SMBC (eg 4 egg whites, 8oz sugar, 12oz butter), which means I can increase or decrease the amount I need easily. Once I have melted all the sugar in the egg whites, I like to keep it over the heat for a good minute to ensure the egg whites are a safe temp. Then I beat at top speed in the KA for around 5 minutes until the mixture is cool & fluffy. Then I add my butter, around 2/3 of the way through adding the butter it will look weird (curdled), but I just keep adding the butter & mixing. I then reduce the speed to 4 and let it beat for a few more minutes and it turns out fine. HTH!

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:59am
post #8 of 8

I know this is an old post but I'm having the same issue. I'm using the 1,2,3 measurements and I've been beating the eggwhites/sugar mixture for over 20 minutes and it's not stiff at all. Kind of has the consistency of marshmallow fluff. If I try to make it form a peak it immediately falls back down and flattens. I'm using a hand mixer with a mix attachment and the eggbeaters carton of egg whites if that matters. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm about ready to toss it all in the trash. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%