Freezing Cakes?

Decorating By hollyh Updated 10 May 2009 , 2:35am by sweetiesbykim

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:14am
post #31 of 32

I froze a decorated (buttercream) cake for the first time recently. A party for my sister's co-worker was cancelled due to an illness. I didn't want to put saran wrap on the cake because it would ruin the borders, so I left the cake in the box and taped it closed. Then I wrapped the entire box several times in saran wrap. Then I wrapped the box again in heavy duty aluminum foil. Then I placed the whole box in a large plastic bag (food safe bags that I have on hand) and put it in the freezer. The party was rescheduled for one month later.

I took it out of the freezer the day before and left it in the fridge to thaw. That night I unwrapped it and took a peek and it looked fine - no smudges to the design at all, no evidence of moisture. I told my sister to please taste it first at the party to make sure it did not taste funny. She called me the next day to say it was just fine - everyone loved it and it tasted fresh!!! Whew!
Luckily I have a refrigerator/freezer at my office. I would never have had the space to put this in my freezer at home!!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:35am
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake1951

what about the top tier the bride and groom keep for their anniversary? If you put fondant on that is it okay to freeze or do they need to pull off the fondant? I am doing my first wedding cake for May 16th. I have started baking and freezing today.

I was shocked and amazed when my sister pulled out her top tier, covered in fondant, saran and a plastic grocery bag from March, 2007! They are in college and moved a couple times, so I didn't even know they kept it. Anyway, she said "go ahead, taste it. It's really good!". It was toasted almond cake with BC and fondant, so I just tasted just the cake part. Truly amazing! If they would have wrapped it properly (no saran holes or gaps), it would have tasted like I baked it and froze it just days ago! It was so good to know to tell brides in the future. My sister thinks the fondant created a taste/moisture barrier, like thick saran. We didn't let it defrost to see the fondant get gross and sticky -it was for her and her husband, after allicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%