Drying Paste Colour Question...

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 6:06am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #1 of 4

I am making some graduation cookies and i am painting on some lines with the black paste colouring on rolled fondant. I will prob finish them close to when i need to take and stack them and not sure the colouring would have dried by then.

Can i use a hair dryer to dry it faster if need be or will that make the fondant sticky, soft or dryout? And if i don't want to stand there with a hair dryer is there a better way to dry it faster? lol Thanks

......Please help icon_cry.gif

3 replies
idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:36am
post #2 of 4

Paste coloring painted on - even thinned - dries really slow. I've had stuff painted lightly that sat in front of a fan all night that still was tacky. I don't know that the hair dryer would be a good idea, I do think that it would make your fondant soft at the very least, but I've never tried it.

I hope someone has a solution for you, I'd love to hear it!

bec714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec714 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:49am
post #3 of 4

Are you mixing the color with something or using straight gel color? Maybe if you mix it with something containing alcohol (vodka, extracts) the alcohol will help thin the color and evaporate the liquid more quickly. The straight color even on royal takes forever to dry, if it ever does. Can you get an icing writer instead?

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:06am
post #4 of 4

Yeh i was just planning on using just the straight colour pastes used to colour fondant but maybe that might work with the alcohol/extracts. I was thinking about using the food colouring pens but i just don't have time to buy some at the moment and i have to make these cookies 2mrw morning icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%