Glycerin For Fondant

Decorating By Carda Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 11:42pm by graciesj

Carda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carda Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 18

Okay, quick question.

I desperately need glycerin for mmf today, but would really like not to have to go all the way in to town for it, as I don't really have the time. I got some glycerin from the pharmacy, pure glycerin and t says for sore throats and chapped skin, so I pressume it's okay for fondant. As such the fondant I am making doesn't really need to be eaten, it's for decorations that don't touch the cake. Is it okay, or is it absolutely vital to get it from a cake deco shop?

Thanks!

17 replies
Carda Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 18

Oooh, and now we are doing the whole "can I, can't I" thing, I have an additional question.

I really want to make gourmetcakes crusting chocolate fudge buttercream, but don't have meringue powder. Is there anything else I can use?

Carda Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 18

Or, indeed any recipe for crusting chocolate buttercream would be appreciated, one that uses fairly basic supermarket ingredients?

I know, I know, I just keep going on and on icon_redface.gif So many questions, so little time.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 18

as far as i know its exactly the same thing, glycerine is glycerine.
crusting chocolate bc - i would make up my usualy bc, 10oz butter, 20oz icing sugar (powdered sugar. this covers a 7inch, the ratio is always twice as much ps as butter if you need to change it), some milk, a bit of vanilla, and then add coocoa powder til it is the right colour/ flavour.
xx

Carda Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

as far as i know its exactly the same thing, glycerine is glycerine.
crusting chocolate bc - i would make up my usualy bc, 10oz butter, 20oz icing sugar (powdered sugar. this covers a 7inch, the ratio is always twice as much ps as butter if you need to change it), some milk, a bit of vanilla, and then add coocoa powder til it is the right colour/ flavour.
xx

Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 18

I have never used glycerine for mm fondant, i watched a video on u tube awhile ago, and have made over 20 batches and they come out great. i read up on glycerine, and it takes water out of the air, among alot of other uses.making soap a sweetnet ect. so i don't know why there is a need to use it in mm fondant,

Carda Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

I have never used glycerine for mm fondant, i watched a video on u tube awhile ago, and have made over 20 batches and they come out great. i read up on glycerine, and it takes water out of the air, among alot of other uses.making soap a sweetnet ect. so i don't know why there is a need to use it in mm fondant,

Oh okay, what recipe do you use for mmf?

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 18

There are actually 2 types of glycerin. If yours doesn't say food grade or make reference to ingesting it then it is not the same as the one you may buy at a cake supply. However, if it is not to be eaten and its not touching the cake I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps you could try to make the mmf without using it. I have made it both ways and while the glycerin does help, it is still a very nice texture without. Try using a little more crisco and a little less ps.

HTH

Quote:
Quote:

The glycerin is just one way to give mmf a smoother texture, makes it not quite so 'rubbery' - ie. it will keep its shape better when you roll it out.

Carda Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eme

There are actually 2 types of glycerin. If yours doesn't say food grade or make reference to ingesting it then it is not the same as the one you may buy at a cake supply. However, if it is not to be eaten and its not touching the cake I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps you could try to make the mmf without using it. I have made it both ways and while the glycerin does help, it is still a very nice texture without. Try using a little more crisco and a little less ps.

HTH

Quote:
Quote:

The glycerin is just one way to give mmf a smoother texture, makes it not quite so 'rubbery' - ie. it will keep its shape better when you roll it out.

that makes sense. i guess because it says you can ingest it for sore throat, it should be safe. But in any case I will just tell them to stay clear of the fondant. Don't really know that many people that are crazy about fondant anyway.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 18

i use 1 bag of minature mm's 1 bag of minature mm's 1 to 2 teaspoons of water for marshmallows, micro 30 sec stir, 30 sec. till all melted. just grease up you work area and hands, i crisco before i put it away, and during mixing. really cheap.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 18

I believe the alternative form of glycerin is toxic, but only available to people with a license, at least that's what I've heard, so any that you see in the supermarkets or pharmacies is the same kind and perfectly safe to ingest. You should be just fine using it.

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 18

jardot22, yes, you're correct, one type of glycerin is toxic to living organisms and can only be purchased with a pharmaceutical license. As far as the other 'type' - there really are 2 different grades. One is food grade, has a slightly sweet taste. The other doesn't say food grade or that it can be ingested, but it also doesn't say you can't eat it. However, it is NOT sweet!! I use it in my science classes and I've tasted it <bleech> icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #14 of 18

Just for the record, Wilton glycerin does not state food grade on its' bottle....

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #15 of 18

What about 100% vegetable glycerine? My bottle says it's safe for both topical and internal use. I bought it for washing my pug originally.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

Oh okay, what recipe do you use for mmf?

Carda: try this one... I used it for quite some time with great success...

Peggy's MMF

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

2 pounds icing sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

1/2 cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

NOTE: Please be careful, this first stage can get hot.

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.

Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY (palms, backs, and in between fingers), then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle. (By the way, this recipe is also good for your hands. When Im done, they are baby soft.)

Start kneading like you would bread dough. You will immediately see why you have greased your hands. If you have children in the room they will either laugh at you or look at you with a questioning expression. You might even hear a muttered, What are you doing?

Keep kneading, this stuff is sticky at this stage! Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant starts sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time and then knead it in). It usually takes me about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cake.

It is best if you can let it sit, double wrapped, overnight (but you can use it right away if there are no tiny bits of dry powdered sugar). If you do see them, you will need to knead and maybe add a few more drops of water.

Prepare the fondant for storing by coating it with a good layer of Crisco shortening, wrap in a plastic-type wrap product and then put it in a re-sealable or Ziploc bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.

MM Fondant will hold very well in the refrigerator for weeks. If I know that I have a cake to decorate, I usually make two (2) batches on a free night during the week so it is ready when I need it. Take advantage of the fact that this fondant can be prepared well in advance.

all4cake Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #17 of 18

Thank you for contacting Humco. Yes, glycerin is safe to use in food products. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,

Shelley Jones
Customer Service
1-800-662-3435 ext. 402

I inquired with this company yesterday. Although, I don't feel this response is specific enough so I do plan on emailing back with..."yes, I understand glycerin is safe to use in food products but is the HUMCO brand glycerin safe to use in food products?" and include a plea for forgiveness for the anal-like nature of my question but I'm covering my butt and need her reply to be more specific.

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 11:42pm
post #18 of 18

I never used glycerin for my MMF. I pray you have found a good oneicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%