Cinderella Cake Made With Wilton Cake Mold

Decorating By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm by jenmat

wannabe_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 3

I will be making a 3D Cinderella cake (my 1st one) this weekend for my niece's 2nd birthday and I was wondering how you make the fondant dress look like it has ripples in it. I've seen alot of the ones made with the Wilton cake mold and they just look so flat. The fondant is right against the mold and doesn't really look like fabric. Does MMF work ok for this kind of thing?

Would you suggest using the wonder mold or just using a glass bowl and then carving out the proper shape?

2 replies
NavyMom2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NavyMom2007 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 3

Hi! Make fondant "carrot" shapes and lay them against the cake, narrow end up wide end down, then drape the fondant over all. This will give the skirt it's ripples. You can also do some drapes and ribbons with fondant to give the look of an over-skirt and petticoats. MMF works just fine for this type of cake. When I do the dolls I make an extra layer. I don't like the proportion if I just use the wonder pan. Good Luck!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 3

Also- I have a terrible time with that wonder mold! It just takes too darn long to bake through, even with the tube they have. I actually bake layer cakes and then cut them out to be the dress shape- either 4, 6, 8 inches, or all of one size and then just sculpt it. The carrot thing works well, but I've done it where I just cut out 2 large rounds of fondant and then "swagged" them to make the overskirt, and that worked ok too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%