Tutorials To Build Wacky Cake Stand?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 16 Apr 2012 , 6:32am by Sunshine0063

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 2:42pm
post #61 of 76

Wow! I don't know how I missed this thread but hey, there's some great info here!! Thanks for all the pix too, that helps a lot! icon_biggrin.gif

rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:23pm
post #62 of 76

This thread is awesome!

TickeyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickeyT Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 8:20pm
post #63 of 76

Thanks Everyone...All the questions and info help...I will try this out soon!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:38pm
post #64 of 76

Hi Everyone,

I know this thread is a few months old, but I have a question about using this Caddy Wampus cake stand...

Each of the center poles is bent at an angle. When making each tier, are you supposed to make them at the same height or less or the center pole BEFORE the bend? Otherwise, if your tier is taller than the bend in the center pole, it's got to be pushed into the top of the cake, right? That would be no good.

I've got a Jimmy Buffet cake for May that I'm already thinking about. I thought the Caddy Wampus stand would be awesome if I did each tier different, but it's got to feed 100+ people and I'm wondering how much cake I can fit if each tier has to be shorter than the bend in the center pole?

Am I making any sense??

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:35am
post #65 of 76

anyone?

DebsCakes55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebsCakes55 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:56am
post #66 of 76

Just the other day I was going to post a question about this same subject but I felt stupid. I learned to make the crazy cake stuff by cutting into the cake and making a flat surface and then a plate. It just looks goofy when you get it all together. But I always wanted to know about those plumbing parts!!!! Thank you for posting! Now, how do you get a cake to stay in place on a slanted edge like that? I would be very nervous about that part. What.... use gorrilla glue... hehehehehehehe.. j/k

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:41pm
post #67 of 76

Thanks DebsCakes55, now I don't feel so dumb!! haha

As for sticking the cake to the slanted base, I read that each tier should be on a cake board (obviously), and then that cake board is taped to the tier with double sided tape.

I think I'm just going to have to get creative with hiding that middle pole. Just don't make the tier that tall, so it doesn't get squished by the bending portion of the pole. I personally don't love the idea of just covering it with fondant. I don't want the customer and their guests to even THINK there is a pole there.

Like this one, she did such a great job you don't even know what the support system looks like http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1831945

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 12:26am
post #68 of 76

Talk to PetalCrafts. She sells wonky cake stands and has a video on offset stacking. I'll bet she can answer your questions.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:02pm
post #69 of 76

Thank you!!

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 5:39pm
post #70 of 76

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know what size pvc pipe should be used?
My dear husband is going to make me one if we can get all the info

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 6:33pm
post #71 of 76

Just for everyones information that pvc regular plumbing pipe is highly toxic and should not be used in food. I have done research on this and there is a food grade pvc pipe that you should be using not plumbing pipe as it releases toxins into the cake.

sabileos1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabileos1 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 8:06pm
post #72 of 76

This has some great info and i am inspired to attempt one myself!!! Good luck to me.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 8:26pm
post #73 of 76

I need one of those stands for next year.. so I have time to practice making one! Thanks for the info

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 10:49pm
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashley

Just for everyones information that pvc regular plumbing pipe is highly toxic and should not be used in food. I have done research on this and there is a food grade pvc pipe that you should be using not plumbing pipe as it releases toxins into the cake.

And we would find this "food grade pvc pipe" where?

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 4:49am
post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashley

And we would find this "food grade pvc pipe" where?

The only place I have found it was online

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 6:32am
post #76 of 76

wouldn't the pvc pipe that they use for home plumbing be safe, I mean the water we drink from the sink runs thru them doesn't it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%