Has Anyone Done A 6 In, 7In, 8In Round Tiered Cake?

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm by FeGe_Cakes

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 19

I was wondering if anyone has done the cake dimensions listed (6, 7, 8 ). I thought it would be okay to get a 3 tiered cake but..i am thinking it might be too close together. I don't really need a border..just a small rope of fondant will do. But after looking at the pan sizes..I thought it might look to slender.

Any thoughts or pics would be great! TIA!

P.S. This is for a female UT graduate.

18 replies
FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #2 of 19

Anyone? If you think it is a bad idea..you can chime in also.

Thanks

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #3 of 19

I have done an 8 and 9 and it was to close for my taste. There wasn't much differents between the two.

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #4 of 19

Well, I've never done it, but i think it will look tall and skinny.... it could be a great look... thumbs_up.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:37am
post #5 of 19

I haven't done one, but have seen one. Wilton has a Fondant Tiered Cakes book, and they have two 6,7,8 round cakes, covered in fondant, and then covered in sugar. The look is nice. They don't have borders - i think that having only 1/2 inch on each side will limit you to no border - the rope might be too thick. HTH.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 19

Well..Not really a rope...I guess a snake is a better term. Probably 1/8 inch snake created by my extruder.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 19

Here is a pic of a cake in the galleries. What do you think the sizes are? I Pm'd the person..but haven't heard anything back yet.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1347410

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:06am
post #8 of 19

I just looked at the picture, really pretty, I think the dimensions you list will look like that.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #9 of 19

Thanks bbmom. Yes..that cake is very pretty. The slender cake is very girly looking to me. Kind of growing on me.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 19

Here's a cake I did for competition:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1210181.html

I was brand new to fondant at the time so I didn't want to tackle anything big. The top was a 5", middle, 6" and bottom was 8" --similar to the proportions you are discussing. I thought they worked well, but the bottom tier is a little larger so it is not quite as narrow as the one you have pictured.

Another poster mentioned the Wilton cakes covered in sugar... about three months after that competition, I came across those same pictures in the Wilton book! I told a friend about them and was mortified that anyone might have thought I had copied them from Wilton... I really thought, at the time, that I had never seen that done before. icon_redface.gif I was a newbie.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #11 of 19

I am starting to dig it. icon_cool.gif I didn't think of making the bottom tier 2 inches larger that the middle. I like that alot!

Thanks Win!

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #12 of 19

I think it will be very pretty esp if you made each tier 3 layers so the were tall and skinny.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:19am
post #13 of 19

Ok..here is my sketch. This is based on a combination of ideas the Grad liked.
LL

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #14 of 19

When I first read the post I didn't like the idea but the pictures I have seen posted have changed my mind. I want to try a cake like this too. icon_surprised.gif FeGe_Cakes I really like the picture you posted for the grad cake. That looks like a great cake. I like the bottom tiers being tall than the top tier. Thanks for posting this, you have given me new inspiration.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #15 of 19

dmhart..yeah..when I posted it..i had my nose turned up to the idea. But seeing the different pictures..especially the one by Win..I think I am going to go for it. Hey..I'm sure the Grad would be happy regardless..and it will be a different design for me.

I haven't decided on the heights yet. (The bottom tier being taller that the top..was just a fluke in my drawing skills) LOL. I need to play with some cake dummies to see what looks good.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeGe_Cakes

I haven't decided on the heights yet. (The bottom tier being taller that the top..was just a fluke in my drawing skills) LOL. I need to play with some cake dummies to see what looks good.

Make sure to post your picture when you finish it. I would love to see it.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:25am
post #17 of 19

Will do. thumbs_up.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #18 of 19

You could try contacting them about it on their website http://www.presentaart.nl/Bruidstaarten/Bruidstaarten.html#0

FeGe_Cakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeGe_Cakes

Here is a pic of a cake in the galleries. What do you think the sizes are? I Pm'd the person..but haven't heard anything back yet.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1347410

Hi all. Just in case you wanted to know. The cake artist Mascha PM'd me back..and the cake is a '3 in, 4 inch, 5 inch' w/ each tier being 3 inches tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%