Help!!! Red Icing!!!!!

Decorating By ronknee Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 3:06am by mrsunknown

ronknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronknee Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 4

Please help me!!! I have to do 36 Elmo cupcakes for next weekend and with it being my first paid order I thought I should give it a go today. Everything went smooth except that my red icing wasn't quite red. I used a whole bottle of No Taste Red Gel and it still only came out dark pint.

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please help as I want this to go well!!!!

3 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 4

You do have to use alot of red, add it to the dark pink and let it sit for a while (I have an elmo cake on my pics, after it sat for a while, it turned red). I tried using chocolate frosting and tinting red but it came out burgundy. And try tinting a small amt of icing at a time instead of the whole bowl. That might help also

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 4

I usually make pink and then add red. Or... I also have a big bittle of Chef Master red. This stuff is the BEST!! And (I'm sure this has been mentioned alot...): make it at least 1 or 2 days before you need it. The color will darken as it sits. HTH

TammyH

mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #4 of 4

personally red and black are the hardest colours to acheive, but i now use powdered colouring for these 2 colours and haven't had a problem since, but there is a whole lot of truth in the letting it sit so the colour intensifies. Good luck and let us know how you go!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%