Carving A Torted/filled Cake..concerns

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm by PinkZiab

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #1 of 5

My mind has been going today..so many questions. Hopefully this is my last for the day. icon_smile.gif

So i was wondering if i were to make a cake, torte it, fill it and then carve it to the shape i want wouldn't i be cutting away the damn of icing that holds all the filling in, thus running into problems with it leaking? I've seen the carving done over and over again on cake shows after the cake is fully assembled and have wondered this same thing. So i'm asking here today hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I want to be prepared for my next cake.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 5

Generally, carved cakes aren't torted and/or filled--just stuck together with buttercream, cooled/frozen, carved into shape, crumb coated, etc....

Torting & filling carved cakes=disaster waiting to happen.

HTH
Rae

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the clarification on this. I guess you have to keep the cake pretty boring inside to make it impressive on the outside (carved),..too bad.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:39am
post #4 of 5

I totally never knew that.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 5

I still torte my carved cakes, but I'll usually only fill them with buttercream... but since you can flavor buttercream in just about any way imaginable, it doesn't need to be boring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%