Simple Syrup Or Moistening Syrup

Baking By brendabaker Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm by TC123

brendabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendabaker Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone, Just want to know when using a simple syrup, is it best used on a warm cake from the oven ? Do you poke holes and pour it over a cold cake ? What is the best way to apply simple syrup, because I had a customer that commented on the dryness of my cake and that's not acceptable. I want them to come back for more because its good and moist ..... thanx so much for any feedback brendabaker

4 replies
TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 5

Hi! This is what I do... When my cakes are cool and leveled, I use a pastry brush to apply it to the tops. Some people use spray bottles, and I'm sure you'll get more suggestions.

Best wishes to you!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 5

First thing you need to do is re-evaluate your recipe and baking time to figure out why your cake is dry. Simple Syrup is used to RETAIN moisture on an already moist cake, as well as add another level of flavor when extracts and liqueurs are added to the syrup. The syrup really shouldn't be used to try and "save" a dry cake, because you'll really just wind up with soggy cake if you try to soak it in syrup to make it moist. You only need a small amount of syrup on each layer (spray bottle, pastry brush, or a squeeze bottle with a very small hole work well).

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 5

I have also used a pastry brush on a cooled cake that has been leveled. I have heard of people using spray bottle and I would love to hear the feedback on the different between the two.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 5

PinkZiab, You are always so helpful with explaining things. Thanks for sharing your insights with us!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%