First 5 Tier Wedding Cake

Decorating By jayla Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm by Susans53

jayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayla Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:20am
post #1 of 12

What type of base do you use with a 5 tier wedding cake? I am afraid of the cardboard cake drum.

Any ideas?

jayla

11 replies
newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:38am
post #2 of 12

How about a piece of masonite covered? That's what I'm going to use on my 1st 5 tier. Good Luck!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 12

My husband cuts plywood in different sizes that I cover and use. They are super strong.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 12

Ditto to the plywood. Mine is 1/2 inch.

jayla Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:27am
post #5 of 12

thanks,
I guess I will be buying some plywood.

jayla

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:38am
post #6 of 12

Are you transporting it assembled or unassembled? (Assembled would be VERY heavy to carry!)

If you transport unassembled, the cake drum should work fine because it's only going to hold the one cake. Once you assemble it, it's on a table ... the cake drum won't crush.

When you buy the plywood, play with it in the store .... just because it's wood, doesn't mean it's strong enough. If there's flexibility in the wood, then it's no stronger than a couple of cake cardboards. But careful again, that a heftier piece of wood will be really heavy to carry with a cake on it. Done both ...that's how I learned.

newnancy Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 12

indydebi,
How heavy do you think it will be? I'm also doing a 5 tier square 6,8,10,12,14" for next weekend & I have the sps & was thinking of having 2 strong men carry it for me, about 20' to the van & the venue shouldn't be too far either. I've got a 1/2" plywood & it's not at all flexible, pretty solid.

jayla Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 12

newnancy, my cake is the same dimensions. I was thinking that it is going to be very heavy. I use the sps also. Do you duct tape your boards to the plates?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 12

I use all masonite throughout my stacked cakes (under each tier, as well as the baseboard). It does add extra weight, but it makes the cake super sturdy, and I also transport assembled.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 12

I know I carried a 3-tier once and thought my arms would fall off before I got it there! icon_surprised.gif When I sat it down, my arms felt like rubber bands!

newnancy Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 12

No duct tape, just a smear of icing.

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm
post #12 of 12

Sorry to high jack this tread but I have a question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use all masonite throughout my stacked cakes (under each tier, as well as the baseboard).

How do you cut the masonite flush with the cake on the tiers for decorating as after baking the cake might shrink a bit. We learned today in a cake class that after you attach your cake to a cake board you will probably need to cut it a bit so that it is perfectly flush for decorating and tiering? I hope I'm making sence. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%