A Delicate Rainbow Design On A Very Special Cake

Decorating By jeaniecakes Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 12:49am by BeeBoos-8599_

jeaniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeaniecakes Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a cake for my godson's birthday this week. He passed away a few years ago and my friend asked me to make a cake to share with our co-workers and and kids at school. I would like to make a rainbow coming out of the sky...but I don't want a blaring red,yellow, orange, etc. rainbow. I would like to make it look very delicate looking (like a real rainbow would look). Are there any cool techniques out there for buttercream frosting that I could try to get a cool "heavenly" effect on the cake?

7 replies
cakesbytanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 8

I'm sorry to hear about your Godson. What a nice way to honor him. I have no answers or suggestions for you but I'm interested in what anyone would suggest since my daughter has asked for her b-day cake to be rainbow as well.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 8

You could thin down your pastel gel colors with clear vanilla and paint the wash on the cake after it crusts. You could use a rainbow picture as a pattern and maybe do a pin prick stencil on the cake as your guide and then just do the pastel wash. I think it might give it a air brush look.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 8

First let me say, Im sorry on your familys loss, and my condolences to all of you. I think its a wonderful idea.

what I do on my b/c AFTER it crust, is I get vodka in a tiny tiny container or even a piece of foil, make a little cup...put vodka into it...then I get a color in another contailer or foil....I wet the brush alittle...and dip it into the color...and gently ...very gently paint it onto the b/c to get the color I want.

i did this on the shading for the Boxer cake I did to add the gray shadows. I hope this helps.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 8

No advice, jeaniecakes, but how wonderful that you are helping to celebrate your godson's birthday. My son died almost 11 years ago and we have a "Josh's birthday" dinner every year. Hopefully you will get some good ideas and I thank you for helping your friend remember a special boy's birthday.

amberlee416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlee416 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 8

I am so sorry for your loss.

I was thinking, if you do a pastel colored rainbox, and maybe add a little luster dust or edible glitter it would give it an extra sparkle.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 8

This is a cupcake and I don't know how the rainbow was done, but I love the look.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1221051.html

I love the sky on this one. You could tone down the rainbow colors, put it ON the cake and I think it would be lovely.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1304937.html

Martha

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 8

I am not sure about how it is all done but whatabout using gelatin? It would be transparent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%