Louis Vitton Purse Cake...what Should I Charge?

Business By maisyone2 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm by maisyone2

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 5

I had an inquiry about a Louis Vitton purse cake. I've never make a purse cake before, but that won't stop me. I'm comfortable with fondant and there is a tutorial here on CC. I just don't know what I should charge?

Please advise!
Gayle
SE MI

4 replies
noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 5

Hey Gayle,

I have learned that when it comes to sculpted and detailed cakes you should charge by the serving. I've done a few Louis and have charged b/w $4.00 & $4.50/serving. I put in a great deal of detail and it takes quite a bit of time. I've attached a pic of one of my purses. this one only served about 20.

Just my opinion. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif
LL

maisyone2 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for replying Noosie. I appreciate the help. The lady called me before I could check for replies and I had to tell her something. I quoted her $100. Of course, when she originally called earlier today, she said she does cakes, but doesn't work with fondant and didn't want to tackle this project herself. So I prefaced my $100 quote with saying that since she does cakes, she does know what goes into creating a cake...the time...the work...the detail. She said she was going to talk it over with her hubby, but she knows that the $100 quote is not unreasonable and it would be worth the $100. So....we'll see if she calls back with the order. I sent her pictures of my cakes so she can see the quality of work that I create.

Thanks again for your reply!!
Gayle
SE MI

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:13am
post #4 of 5

Not to open a can of works, but...

$100 for the cake, $2000.00 for the copyright permission from LV.

Search the topic of copyright on here, and you'll see what I'm talking about...

maisyone2 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 5

I do understand about copyright permission. But I'm small potatoes compared to most and I am sure even the bigger fish on these boards have broken copyright laws. For example, many have done versions of Spongebob.

But, I do thank you for your concern.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%