Wilton Or Any Icing Colors?

Decorating By Liezee22 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm by pattycakesnj

Liezee22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liezee22 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 5

Could someone tell me how long a shelf life concentrated paste (icing color) has once it is opened? I have several open but have not used them. My Mom got very sick with cancer and I had to put my decorating on hold to take care of her. She passed away in Nov. icon_sad.gif and I am just now starting back. icon_smile.gif I have only done a couple of cakes since but have all these other colors open and don't want to use them if they are not fresh enough. Thanks for your help....
Liezee

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Liezee! Sorry to hear about your mom.

I just wanted to let you know that you can keep your colors for years. Just make sure that nothing ever gets into them. You just always want to throw away the toothpick after you've dipped it once.

Give them a stir, if it gets to be like a hard gooped up gel. It's time to get new ones. If not, you're good to go!

Liezee22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liezee22 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for the help. I was hoping they were still good.
Liezee icon_smile.gif

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 5

Even if the gel colors do get a little hard, you can add a tiny amount of Glycerin to the container to revive them. Wilton sells this in small bottles usually near the extracts in the store. It works like a charm!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for the tip, Aliciag829 about the glycerin, I will have to try it as some of my colors got a little hard

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%