Fondant ???

Decorating By txboog Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm by mommy_of_3_DDs

txboog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txboog Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 4

I've made MM fondant before and covered a cake with it, but this time I need to make a bow and mickey mouse ears. I picked up Wilton fondant today to keep me from having to make black. My question is...is there anything "special" I need to do to the fondant to make it dry and how long will it take? My plan is make two ears that will stick down into the top of the cake, and place a small bow between them.

Thanks!

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 4

if you make it out of 100% fondant, it will take a long time to dry. mixing fondant with gumpaste (or just using gumpaste alone) or adding tylose will help it dry faster and stronger. fondant on its own will be fine tho, just make it well in advance.
ad for the ears, maybe stick in some cocktail sticks so they are easy to put in the cake.
xx

txboog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txboog Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. I was wondering I needed to add gumpaste to it. I don't need it until a week from Saturday. I better get busy. I hadn't even thought of adding little sticks to the ears. Great idea! icon_smile.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 4

For the mini mouse cake in my pics I "glued" fondant circles over cardboard circles that had skewers inserted into them for the ears. I also made the bow only a day before the event and it was fine. I used MMF for both... let me know if I can help in any way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%