Make Sure Pans Fit The Oven

Decorating By flourbud Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 10:31pm by cakedesigner59

flourbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourbud Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 13

Don't do what I did. Used my Michaels coupon to buy the Wilton three tier square pans. Largest one is 16". I filled it with batter and went to put it in the oven and, you guessed it, it was too big for my oven. I have a convection and the convection fan on the back oven wall bumped out the pan just enough so it didn't fit. I t never occured to me that a pan sold in a retail store for the average baker would not fit the average oven. Lesson learned.

12 replies
have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 13

my brother gave me some nice heavy Wilton cupcake pans with rounded handles on the ends that won't fit either. Maybe it's just the convection oven problem? I never expected that either.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 13

The day my oven dies (I have a feeling it will be soon), I am bringing my largest pan with me to the appliance store!!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 13

I have turned down apartments because of the ovens! Landlords usually don't believe me when I say, sorry, nice place, but the oven is too small.

pigninnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pigninnie Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

The day my oven dies (I have a feeling it will be soon), I am bringing my largest pan with me to the appliance store!!

i agree!!!

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 13

Ditto. Neve even occured to me the pans would be to big

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 13

yah my 16" square barely fits in mine and my oven's fairly large too.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 13

The biggest cake i can do is a 14" square, it can be proper frustrating.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 13

i'm gonna miss my oven icon_sad.gif its been dying off and on, old propane oven, its called a double wall oven but only the top Oven bakes the bottom one is for broiling etc. hubbywants to get rid of it, the cook top and get one regular range (propane of course,the house isn't fitted for electric oven)

I LIKE my wall oven cause bending over is hard for me .. witha wall oven i can open and there it is. hubby just can't understand this. his reasoning is and i DO understand is that a wall oven will cost $200+ more then the standard oven range we're all familiar with.

i just don't want to invest all that $ in a standard ovenrange when in a few more years bending over will be an even harder venture for me and i'll be forced to give up baking just because of that.

bah dont mind me thats for another whine mope and groan thread lol

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:47am
post #10 of 13

I'd do almost anything for a wall oven! icon_smile.gif I always end up singeing my bangs from the heat when I open the door and bend over it. And it's hard to bend over and get those cakes out sometimes!!

Can you save up a little here & there so when the oven finally meets its maker, you have the difference saved?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #11 of 13

I feel your pain! Im in the same boat! My 16" round didnt fit my oven either. I had an order for a four tiered cake and the only way we could shut it is with a bungy cord. Needless to say the cake did not come out right. It was lopsided!
But I thought the same thing when I purchased my oven. I figured it was a Kitchen Aide Convenction even had the yeast proofing for baking. So who would of figured that an average pan wouldnt even fit in the sucker!
I have another large cake coming up and will have to see if I can either use my neighbors' oven or treck down to the fire department and ask if I can use theirs!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 13

I can't fit anything larger then a 14 inch square in my oven. But i can bake three 12x18s at once. So its a trade off. Anything larger in a square i will make with sheets and piece together. Anything larger then a 14 round i do 1/2 rounds, i don't know where i got them i think off ebay during my buy everything cake phase. They were one of the better things i ended up with, i have a 16,18 and 20 inch 1/2 pans. And all will fit in my oven.

Now my old oven only had two shelves and i could bake a 14in or 11x15 sheet, it would only hold the 16inch 1/2. And that was it. You really could only bake on one shelf, but i did push it to use both, but there was alot of rotating going on.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 13

Same problem here. New house, new oven. Bought the convection, and had no idea that the convection thingy would make it so I can't fit my 16" round in there. I don't even like the convection...on mine, it "surface bakes" so that the top of something looks done, but it's raw in the middle. Arrrrrrggggh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%