Fondant That Doesn't Taste Awful?

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm by luvbakin

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 29

Hi everyone! I was wondering if the Satin Ice fondant tastes good? I only have experience with the Wilton fondant and have only used it for accents since it tastes terrible. I am going to attempt a fondant covered cake for my daughters 2nd Birthday, but my biggest concern is the taste. I don't want to serve a cake that looks pretty but nobody wants to eat LOL!! I prefer the convenience of ready made fondant because the MMF just seems to finicky and the baking aspect of cake decorating is my least favorite part. Is there a brand sold at Global Sugar that tastes the best? I love the way frosting tastes, but the look I am going for needs to be satin smooth. I just don't have the 'completely smooth' icing technique down yet. Any ideas/suggestions would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated!!

28 replies
sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 29

Satin Ice is said to taste great. Not comparable to Wilton. You can even make the fondant taste better by adding a few drops of the candy flavoring oils and kneading it in/pulling to blend it real well. Pick a flavor and go at it!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 29

If all you have ever had is wilton, satin ice is leaps and bounds above in the taste department. Don't be turned off by the smell when you open the container, don't know why but many people tell me it smells like playdough I don't think so, but i haven't smelled play dough in many many years.

The best tasting that global sells i think if choco pan. it is expensive.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 29

Chocopan is the best tasting pre made I have found. A lot of people use Michelle Foster's recipe on this site and say it taste good and is easy to work with.

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 29

I just started trying different fondant recipes, I agree Wilton tastes gross. I have not tried any other pre-made brands. I really enjoy Michelle Foster's fondant. It's easy to make and work with. It is supposed to sit in a bag for 24 hours before use though. So if your going to try it make sure you mix it up a couple days ahead of time. It tastes really good too, (the only one my family will eat.)!!
I hope this helps.

Kim

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 29

I've heard that Fondx is better than Satin Ice. I don't like SI because it dries too fast, too hard, and with a matte finish. It also tears easier than MMF.

My preferred ready-made fondant for covering cakes is Fondarific's buttercream flavor. It tastes better than any other, will cover anything easily, and it stays soft for a very long time. Even when it seems to dry out a quick zap in the micro and some kneading softens it right back up. However, it is too soft for other embellishments. I had a a heck of a time with it just trying to make scrolls (rope)!

I only use MMF now, though, since I have worked with it so much it's become a piece of cake (sorry for the pun) to work out it's idiosyncracies. I flavor mine with LoRann butter flavor and use glycerine for pliability.

cakeflake80 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 29

Thank you all for the great advice! I have read all of the great things about Michelle's MMF, but have been too afraid to try it because it seems as though you have to play a few things (i.e ingredient amounts) by ear depending on humidity, etc.... which I am not good at! I am going to Michaels tonight, so if they have glycerin maybe I will attempt it this weekend. I definitely don't want to buy Satin Ice if it dries hard and cracks. That has been my experience with Wilton too...plus the awful taste.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #8 of 29

I am a fan of Fonderific. It comes in 12 flavors but I will say that to cover a cake stick with the buttercream or the vanilla. The other flavors are really good for flowers etc. With the exception of the chocolate which is pretty yummy.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 29

I am a HUGE fan of Fondx. Love, love, love it. Flavor is the best, and it's great to work with. You can get it through Caljavaonline.com

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 29

I like Fondx, Satin Ice, and sometimes I made MMF too. They are all good.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 29

I use Dawn's fondant...yummy! It smells sooo incredibly good, and tastes equally good. Every person that has tried it loves it. I get it at a local cake shop.

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 29

I really love mmf fondant. Taste awesome

luvbakin Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

I am a HUGE fan of Fondx. Love, love, love it. Flavor is the best, and it's great to work with. You can get it through

Ummm, that is not what I said icon_confused.gif . You can get it through c a l j a v a o n l i n e . c o m

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:44am
post #14 of 29

When you find that your palette desires a much more refined taste than the marshmallowy taste of MMF....graduate up to MFF. Amazing stuff, easier to make, and not messy at all!

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #15 of 29

I just tried Satin Ice for the first time the other day. I used it for flowers on cupcakes I made. It's actually pretty good and tastes way better than Wilton. I had only ever used Wilton (never covered a cake in it) and thought that chemical smell of the Wilton stuff was normal. I was shocked when the Satin Ice smelled good. I will only ever use Wilton for things that won't be eaten.

bellalex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellalex Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:55am
post #16 of 29

Fondarific is really good! I love the buttercream and chocolate. I can't stay out of it when I am working with it and I am not a big fondant fan. It is way better than Satin Ice!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #17 of 29

I just started making/using MMF, and I love it! The taste is great, it's almost fool-proof to make, and it's easy to work with. The first time I made it, I made a ton of mistakes, and it still came out beautifully. I did a wedding cake yesterday using MMF, and it looked beautiful, and everyone raved about the taste. Even my husband loves it, and he HATES fondant--he's BC all the way! Also, MMF is ridiculously inexpensive to make...something like $3.50 per recipe. Have your cake and eat it too!!

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #18 of 29

I don't much like the taste of wilton's ready to use fondant either, but i have added flavoring to it and that really improves the taste. my personal favorite is to add mint to fondant and cover a chocolate cake with it. I also make MMF, I like the taste much better and although it is time consuming is isn't difficult to make. It really makes a difference to MMF use high quality powdered sugar and marshmellows. I have made it with the newer pink strawberry flavored marshmellows that tasted great but it worked best for accents and cut outs. It tended to crack.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I don't like SI because it dries too fast, too hard, and with a matte finish. It also tears easier than MMF.

Ditto - I don't like Satin Ice either and it makes me cringe when so many people sing its praises - but I guess different things work for different people.

I thought the term "delicious fondant" was an oxymoron until I discovered ChocoPan and Fondarific - they're AWESOME! Just don't nuke them in the microwave like the directions say because they both become a bit greasy. If yours is on the hard side, just knead it in your hands and it will soften up. I love the workability of them both.

cakeflake80 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #20 of 29

Can you tell me how far ahead I can make my fondant accents? I had some leftover Wilton fondant and wanted to try practicing the farm animals for my daughters cake. Well the pig and piglet came out so good, that I would hate to not use them! The problem is that her party isn't for 3 weeks. I put them on a piece of parchment paper and stored them at room temp in a small tupperware container overnight. They seem fine this morning, but it's only been 1 day LOL!

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:39pm
post #21 of 29

I think your animals will be just fine for 3 weeks. They may fade in color some though unless you keep them away from the light.
I'm enjoying reading this thread too because I do not like the taste of Wilton either. I recently made a cake similar to one I saw here. I made Toba Garrett's fondant for the white and True Black MMF from this site for black. It was a race track theme and I wanted a red brick wall so I just used Wilton for that but didn't serve it. I may post a picture if I can figure out how to do so.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #22 of 29

Most fondant tastes awful. That said, I think Fondarific is the lesser of the evils. The orange is good, but it doesn't go with too many cakes. I usually use Satin Ice. I'm just not a fondant person. Some people like it, but in my experience, most people don't.

heather12112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather12112 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #23 of 29

I prefer Choco-Pan. The taste reminds me of the inside of a Pecan Log (old fashioned candy). I haven't tried making MMF yet, but would like to soon.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:00pm
post #24 of 29

Don't be afraid to try Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe (on this site).....easy to make and quite good. Or the Satin Ice.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by naultlover

Can you tell me how far ahead I can make my fondant accents? I had some leftover Wilton fondant and wanted to try practicing the farm animals for my daughters cake. Well the pig and piglet came out so good, that I would hate to not use them! The problem is that her party isn't for 3 weeks. I put them on a piece of parchment paper and stored them at room temp in a small tupperware container overnight. They seem fine this morning, but it's only been 1 day LOL!

Take them out of the tupperware and put them inside a cardboard box or paper bag - you don't want to trap the moisture. They will last months!

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #26 of 29

I have been using Satin ice because that's the only thing I can get around here without mail ordering it. My cake stores distributor switched from Bakels to it a couple of months ago This thread made me decide to taste it. I don't know why I didn't taste it before. Not may people around me like fondant so I usually just use it for accents. I didn't like it at all. I thought the Bakels was pretty good. Satin ice doesn't taste nearly as good. It's been nice to work with though, but I wouldn't want to cover a whole cake in it.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #27 of 29

I personally don't care for Satin Ice. I prefer to make my own using Michele's fondant recipe. If I do order fondant I like Albert Usters brand, which I love. I've never used choco-pan but I've heard it's great too[/list]

cakesBYcuento Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesBYcuento Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #28 of 29

i love fondx! thumbs_up.gif

luvbakin Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #29 of 29

Yeah, I personally think Satin Ice has a playdough type taste. Yuck. LOVE FondX

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%