Help With Ri

Baking By dellswife Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 4:45am by dellswife

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 7

So I hand cut 28 cookies last night....cooled them until cold to the touch after baking. And then flooded the background.
Set out to fully dry overnight.
This morning when I woke up I noticed the blue ones (I am making Elmo and Cookie Monster) kind of have "wet spots" even though they aren't wet....the red ones, don't look like that. Could it have been something to do with the RI? Maybe the cookies weren't cooked fully? Or something else???? They are Large cookies....probably 5"x4".

Also......I got a lot of dimples in the blue icing too.....my technique? Or could the icing have been too thick?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 7

Possibly dodgy colouring or the grease from the cookies has seeped up through the RI. It sounds like your blue was too thick as well. Do you gently tap the cookies after flooding to help bring bubbles to the surface and even the flooding icing out a bit?

dellswife Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 7

Dodgy colouring? Not mixed in enough?
Is there a way to stop the grease from seeping up? I used the NFSC recipe. I think they will still look fine....just confused with it! lol

And yah, I did tap and shake, but I'm thinking it was still a little too thick? It evened out a bit, but when I looked at them this morning they really seemed dimply!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 7

You could have an 'off' bottle/jar of coloring, it happens! I have had grease seep through RI before overnight, I don't know how to stop it as it has only happened once. That was during a summer hot spell - is it warm where you are?

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 7

dellswife: The problem with the dark spots has come up on these forums numerous times. In fact, I posted a few of them because it happens to me once in a while, too. I've never quite figured out what the problem is, but often times the dark/wet spot will spread throughout the entire cookie so it ends up looking ok. I'm not sure if it's a matter of the icing drying, or that certain colors (dark ones) tend to do it more. Since your icing was a little dimpled, it was probably a little bit too thick, and maybe that caused the dark spots. Let us know if the dark/wet spot ends up spreading throughout the cookie.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 7

Not sure it this helps, but I had this happen to me when I made the huge error to a batch in the oven on dehydrate to help with the drying process. Also, another time when I put them under a heat lamp. I know you didn't do this, but I wonder if this does indicate the butter seeping up. True bakers (compared to me, hey, where is IndyDebi?) will know if heating the cookie will indeed cause the butter to do this.

I also had it happen another time when I used to much coloring. I don't recall if I tried the heat lamp idea at that time (I now put them under a fan). That time the deeper color did spread evenly, but not the times I had them under the heat.

dellswife Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:45am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone so much for your replies!
When I got home the colouring spread out....so it really wasn't noticeable.
Made me wonder about what Tracy said about possibly adding too much colour. I added a lot more colour to the blue cookies than the red! I wonder if that could have been the case with that?!
It was my first time using this recipe (2nd time using RI), and I needed to finish decorating the cookies today and found a better consistency that was Much easier to apply, that also didn't dimple when I put it on.

Most likely newbie trial and error icon_smile.gif lol

Thanks again everyone! I Love this forum icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%