Looking For Directions For Banana Split Sundae Cake

Decorating By luv4cake Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 2:24pm by cakebaker1957

luv4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv4cake Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 8

I am donating a cake to my sons schools ice cream social in a couple weeks and REALLY want to make the banana split sundae cake for it. It will be raffled off and I think this cake would be a big hit. The only problem is I can't find any directions or topics that discuss this. Here are my questions: What is used for the base of the cake? How do I make the "banana" look like a banana? What are the "sauces" made out of? Are the cherries real or are they fondant? How do I cover the ice cream balls (buttercream or fondant)? Please help me!! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 8

Here is a link to a picture of one of these cakes, it is by merissa. In the comments she says she posted directions for it in the cake decorating forum.When you search for it, it says posts do not exist for the topic or some such thing, leading me to believe it died in the crash. It appears merissa is still active on the boards, perhaps if you pm'd her she would either send the instructions to you, or maybe you could persuade her to repost them. HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1183871

luv4cake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the info - I tried to contact merissa first but haven't heard back from her so that is why I am trying to go this route. Hopefully somebody out there has some answers for me.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 8

I made this sort of cake last year and it turned out pretty good. First i baked a small sheet cake, shaped it to the size of 'bowl' I wanted, filled and covered it with fondant. If you have an oval pan, this would save you the sculpting step. Then i baked three mini ball cakes for the 'ice cream scoops'. I covered each individually with a different colored fondant (choc, straw, and vanilla colors). Then you just place them on top of the cake 'bowl'. I just put a straw through the balls to keep them from coming off the cake during transport. Melt different colors of chocolate for the 'sauces', add sprinkles and cherry if you want. I made the bananas out of fondant, next time i would add some tylose so that they hold their shape better. To shape them just kinda eyeball it to look realistic, add some groves for texture. The last step was adding 'whipping cream' to the cake edges and a spoon dipped in melted chocolate on the cake board..adds a cute touch. Pretty easy, definitely not as complicated as i thought it would be. I have a pic of it in my picassa web album if you want to check it out. Hth

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 8

I made one as well. It's in my photo.

I baked the cake in a loaf pan and then torted and filled it. Then I covered it with fondant and let it rest. The ice cream scoops were made from 3 mini ball pans. I cut the bottom off of them to make them level. I covered each with a different color fondant (white, pink, brown) and put them on the "dish." Then melt different colored candy melts for the syrups (I did chocolate and strawberry). Top with really fluffy buttercream for the whipped cream. Throw on some sprinkles. It was very easy.

luv4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #6 of 8

Thank you for all the directions. I will give it a try and post a pic when I am done.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 8

I am sorry, I did not see your ask for help with this cake. It is always a little bit more helpful (to me anyway) if you pm me with your specific questions rather than post a question under the comment section under the photo. Sometimes I just don't see the comments icon_biggrin.gif

I made it similar to the previous poster. I used the wilton small oval pan (one layer) and covered it with fondant. I made 3 mini ball pan cakes for the icecream. Cut a cake board to fit the "bowl". You may need to carve the balls down a bit to fit the board. Cover each in fondant and place on the cake board. I threw a few dowels in there to keep everything secure. Top the ice cream with melted candy melts. The bananas are just fondant and I used buttercream for the whipped toppings.

good luck with your cake!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

I made one as well. It's in my photo.

I baked the cake in a loaf pan and then torted and filled it. Then I covered it with fondant and let it rest. The ice cream scoops were made from 3 mini ball pans. I cut the bottom off of them to make them level. I covered each with a different color fondant (white, pink, brown) and put them on the "dish." Then melt different colored candy melts for the syrups (I did chocolate and strawberry). Top with really fluffy buttercream for the whipped cream. Throw on some sprinkles. It was very easy.

Bellatheball, i noticed that you said to top with really fluffy BC do you have a receipe for it?/ i would love to have fluffy Bc icing mine is usually thick i try to add more liquid but doesnt really make it fluffy
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%