Step Outside Of My Comfort Zone?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 7:37pm by BeeBoos-8599_

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 7

I got a call today, I was referred to this lady and highly recommended by a regular customer...She e-mailed me a sketch of the cake they would like for her daughter's 16th b-day in may. Her sister is the sketch artist and paying for the cake.

It's a topsy-turvy cake, I'll try to upload below. I have several concerns. This cake is very out of my league. I've never done topsy-turvy, I am a SAHM, who does this from home, so even wedding cakes/i.e. stacked cakes are limited to a few a year. The only fondant cakes I've done have been in course 3, and now I teach them in wilton's FGP and course 3. I always complain that all people ask for is buttercream (in our area - I've never had a request for an all-fondant cake) , but to be honest - that's where I feel most comfortable.

At what point do you jump out of the boat? I mean, I'd like to take on this cake, but it'd definitely be a challenge, and there's alot that can go wrong because I'd be working with elements I'm not too familiar with. I also don't want to mislead a customer into thinking it's no problem, and then her end up with a crappy cake if I can't pull it off, y/k? I sent her an e-mail back letting her know that I've never done anything quite that elaborate, although I've done stacked cakes...also that it'd most likely all be fondant, which would be pricey, and that I'm afraid it might be out of my league, so I'll wait to hear what she says.

I'm interested to hear from you - what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
LL

6 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #2 of 7

I think you can do it, just do not be so hard on yourself, Also their is a tutorial on u tube, it was from the person, who won the first place in the valentine contest. I am not at home to give you the complete web address but I am sure someone else will give you the link to it. keep your head up. and Practice Practice Practice.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:28am
post #3 of 7

Well it is always good to step out of our comfort zone but when something is too much, it's to much for us.....so do what you feel is right for you. .....Now IMHO I think that cake looks way to busy....so with that said....how about you tone it down a little and if you do that maybe it is something you can make? Just a thought.

Bea

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:29am
post #4 of 7

WAYYYYY too cool!!! Ok. so you practice your fondant on dummies. A LOT!!!! And it's acutally easy once you get the hang of it. I promise. If you look at the tutorials for t'n't cakes here you will find all the help you need. And if you really need to, ship the kids out for an afternoon or a day, or hire a baby sitter to come into the house so you can work on it. You need a day to bake, a day to torte and fill, a day to cover and a day to finish (with kids around). This will be a great project for you!!! You can do it!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 7

This tutorial o youtube should help you

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 7

I agree that the cake is too busy for a beginner at topsy turvy. The cake would definately have to be all fondant. Keep in mind that you will have to sculpt each cake to get the slanted look and then you will have to cut a hole down into each tier the size of the tier that will sit on top because it will sit down inside of the cake a liitle bit. Very tricky to do and get right. If you feel that this will be too much for you then don't do it. Also don't forget that sculpting cakes is more work than regular cakes so most definately don't be affraid to charge more than you normally would. Good Luck.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 7

I had a customer ask me to do a topsy turvy recently and I told her I was not compfortable with that aspect of the cake she showed me but that I could handle all of the other elements. She understood and we sat down and came up with a design that was within my ability and her budget that very closely matched the cake she showed me. I looked at your cakes and if you do all of the drawing on your cakes free hand, then I think you can more than handle it. Be honest with your client and I am sure she will be happy and you will be challenged and come out of it a better decorator.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%