Is My *memory* Wrong?

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm by moreCakePlz

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 14

When I was a little girl I remember going to a lot of weddings. My Dad was one of 13 children and my Mom one of 12, so there were a lot of cousins getting married back then.

I seem to have a memory that none of my friends in my *almost 50* group share with me.

Do any of you 40 or older girls remember the wedding cakes having those little gold or silver fake wedding bands being baked into them?

I remember hoping to get the piece with the little ring in it, supposedly it was meant as a sign of *good luck*.

Am I dreaming this or do you too have a memory of that? icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 14

I remember that as well along with my Mom baking money into my birthday cakes...Yup...can you imagine today!!! Dirty coins....But hey as kids...we loved it....Everyone wanted the quarter!!!

Deb_ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 14

YES!!!!! I'm not crazy icon_rolleyes.gif well, not all the time anyway icon_razz.gif

I know, can you imagine doing that and having someone get the thing stuck in their throat? icon_eek.gif

With all the crazy stuff we did growing up it's amazing we all survived! icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 14

My mother always put a toothpick in the cake, the one who got the toothpick got a little treat (usually another piece of cake!)

I don't remember the ring in the wedding cake, it does seem a little risky that someone might swallow/choke on it, maybe thats why we don't hear of it now.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 14

HAHA! I am not in my 40's and I remember that!! It was an 80's wedding, and I was very little, 5-ish I think. The only reason that I remember is because I got the little ring.

My husband's family does this weird thing called Donut Day. They make homemade fresh donuts, I ALWAYS get to man the fryer, and they put money in them. Quarters, nickels, dimes, pennys, and even silver dollars. The money is all washed very well beforehand. You let the donut rise, slit it with a sharp knife, and then you stuff the money in there. Fry as normal. The first year I went, waaayyy back when he was my BF, I darn near broke a tooth. No one told me....

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

HAHA! I am not in my 40's and I remember that!! It was an 80's wedding, and I was very little, 5-ish I think. The only reason that I remember is because I got the little ring.

My husband's family does this weird thing called Donut Day. They make homemade fresh donuts, I ALWAYS get to man the fryer, and they put money in them. Quarters, nickels, dimes, pennys, and even silver dollars. The money is all washed very well beforehand. You let the donut rise, slit it with a sharp knife, and then you stuff the money in there. Fry as normal. The first year I went, waaayyy back when he was my BF, I darn near broke a tooth. No one told me....

LOL! Sorry, but you have to admit, it's funny now.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:26am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I remember that as well along with my Mom baking money into my birthday cakes...Yup...can you imagine today!!! Dirty coins....But hey as kids...we loved it....Everyone wanted the quarter!!!

OOOO, yuck dirty money, Can you imagine explaining that one to the HD or Dept of AG now days......You see it is treat for the kids.. yeah that right.....hahaha. I can see it now.

But the sad thing is I remember it too.Hehehe

nikki125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki125 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #8 of 14

OOh I remember the ring thing! Wasn't too long ago must have been about mid '80s or so. I was abot 8 or 9. My aunt got married and she had a cake with the rings on it. I got one of the rings and as i vaguely recall I "married" one of the boys there.actually I think he was my cousin! icon_redface.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki125

OOh I remember the ring thing! Wasn't too long ago must have been about mid '80s or so. I was abot 8 or 9. My aunt got married and she had a cake with the rings on it. I got one of the rings and as i vaguely recall I "married" one of the boys there.actually I think he was my cousin! icon_redface.gif

And you dont even live in the south!!! BWahahaha! icon_biggrin.gif

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 14

I did a wedding shower cake in 1997, and they gave me charms attached to ribbons that were to be put inside the cake (not baked in) then each bridesmaid pulled a ribbon and her charm told about her future. Victorian custom I think.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 14

It's like the King Cake in New Orleans where they bake the plastic baby into the cake. Yuck.

I've done the wedding charms thing too, they used to bake those into the cake, but I put them on ribbons and stick them under the cake board for the bridesmaids to pull out.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 14

There was a Scandanavian tradition of baking a coin in the cake, but I can't remember if it was for Christmas (the "winner" gets good luck all year) or if it was at a wedding (the "winner" gets married next).

Deb_ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 14

The wedding charms sound like a cute idea too! I'm so happy you guys confirmed my memory. My friends kept looking at me like I had sniffed too much powdered sugar whenever I asked them about it. icon_lol.gif

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #14 of 14

In the Deep South we still do the charms in the cake, but they are not baked in. The charms are covered in plastic or tape, attached to a ribbon and then iced into the border of the cake. Before the cake is cut, the unmarried females each pull a ribbon and reveal their charm. The person who gets the ring is supposed to be the next one married. Kinda the same principle as catching the bride's bouquet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It's like the King Cake in New Orleans where they bake the plastic baby into the cake. Yuck.

At one time dried beans or porcelain/gold/silver babies were baked into the King Cake, but today the plastic babies are just pushed into the bottom of the cake after it has cooled. Iâve never tried it, but Iâve been told that the plastic babies melt if you put them in the oven.

Poor things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%