Michele Fosters Fondant.

Decorating By nissi01 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 3:36am by ElectricCook

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 20

Hi everyone. Maybe someone could help me out. I am making my mother in laws birthday cake this weekend and I decided to make Michele Fosters fondant. I printed the recipe from the recipe section a couple of months ago. Anyway yesterday I printed 2 copies of the updated version. I went home to make the fondant and I noticed that all three recipes were different. The original said 3 packets of unflavored gelatin, the next one said 3 tbls and the other said 2 tbsp. I was going to use the amounts of the igredients for the original version. My question is which one is actually right. I think all of the other ingredients are the same other than the gelatin. Also, the recipe asks for 1 cup of corn syrup. Is that liquid or dry measuring cup.

Sorry for the silly questions. I just want to make the recipe right. I dont want to waste any of the ingredients by messing it up. My brain hasnt been right for the last couple of weeks. icon_lol.gif

Thanks

Denise

19 replies
iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 20

do not use the one that says UPDATED. Michelle has said that she wrote the wrong amounts on it. I was planning on using the one she added with the 2tbsps of each

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:19am
post #3 of 20

If I remember correctly, 3 packets of gelatin is 2 tbsp. I use the original recipe, and it's awesome. I'm not sure what the updates are, but the original is perfect. Just make sure you let it rest for a few hours, preferably overnight. It's easier to work with that way.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:38am
post #4 of 20

Can someone please post the ingredients in the ORIGINAL? I can't find an "original" and now I'm totally confused.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:07am
post #5 of 20

1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp - for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
1 dash salt
3 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once) (3 to 4)

I believe this is the original. I was happy to see the updated version of the recipe, supposedly addressing issues and questions that had been raised. I made it and noticed right away that the amount of gelatin had increased because I remembered the 6tsp note in the original. I thought it was an awful big increase for a recipe that I thought was already very good the way it was. I made it and it came out way too hard and unworkable.

I'm glad I came across this thread or I never would have known about the typo in the updated version...or that it had been fixed.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:25am
post #6 of 20

Now I am confused.
Are we supposed to use milk or cream?
Is it 2 tbsp of gelatin and 3tbsp of glycerin and butter?
or is it 2tbsp of gelatin, glycerin & butter.

artscallion Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #7 of 20

The one I listed is the original (I believe) and calls for milk. There was an updated version on the home page for a while recently, posted by Michelle in response to comments and questions. That one, as it exists today in the recipe section, calls for cream in the ingredient list, but refers to milk in the directions section. I actually use flavored coffee creamer. I think it's really a matter of preference.

I think I'll use the original recipe until there's some clarification on the updated version. Especially since I didn't have any problems with the original to begin with.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 20

I noticed the same thing. I went ahead and used the cream. I may try the original recipe since cream is more expensive than milk, plus it is one less ingredient that I have to purchase. As I am always forgetting some essential ingredient when I make a cake and have to go back to the store and get that one item which is frustrating especially when I make a listicon_sad.gif Sorry for the rambling. I noticed when I used the updated recipe it had a slight bitter taste. I am not sure if it was because of the extra gelatin in anycase I used extra salt and it got rid of it. thanks for the info

iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:11pm
post #9 of 20

ok, now I am really confused. I used the one Michelle added- NOT the updated one and it calls for 2 tbsps gelatin, which is fine, that is about what is in the one posted above, but it also calls for 2 tbsps butter and 2 tbsps glycerin so now I don't know what the heck to use???

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 20

I am VERY sorry about the confusion. The CORRECT amount of gelatin is 2 Tbsp. The CORRECT amount of butter and glycerin is also 2 Tbsp.

I have also included that you can use milk, half & half, non-dairy creamer, etc. Also the dairy products won't spoil due to the cooking process and high amount of sugar. There is also information about different flavors and fixing fondant issues.

Honestly, I do not mean to be mean, but I have apologized and answered these questions in multiple threads. I have also put ALL kinds of information in a separate thread as well as on www.thesugarfixtoo.com web site. It's hard to imagine how many hours I have spent answering questions about this recipe, free of charge!!

The answers are available in SO MANY locations, please look for threads that I have answered, including the FAQ that I posted. If there is still a question not answered there I will try to help.

Michele (frustrated) Foster

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 20

Michele, thank you so much for your continued efforts to keep us in good fondant! I just had to laugh when I read the scripture at the bottom of your page. God is so good. Bless you!

Sugarflowers Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinnane

Michele, thank you so much for your continued efforts to keep us in good fondant! I just had to laugh when I read the scripture at the bottom of your page. God is so good. Bless you!

Thank you for that. It is funny and ironic. I was considering leaving CC until I read your response.

Thanks again.

Michele (a little less frustrated) Foster

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 20

I agree, you've gone above and beyond in your graciousness when you didn't have to
thank you for the clarifications =)
BIG (((hugs))) for you, sweetie

webbiedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webbiedeb Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:47pm
post #14 of 20

Michele,

Please don't get discourged. I truly appreciate all the information you have shared and would feel that it would be an aweful lost if you lefted CC.

Thanks for all your help

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 20

Hello everyone. I just wanted to say thank you for your input regarding my original post. I did try to search, but my computer would freeze and I would have to restart my stinking computer. (Im getting a new one this weekend). I was just hoping that someone could point me in the right direction or tell me which recipe to use. I was able to get the exact address for Micheles website which had the answers to my dumb questions from your replies. I never intended to frustrate/annoy or start any arguments and such. I am truly sorry if I did.

Again, thank you for responding and I truly appreciate all of the information that you guys are willing to share with me (the unexperienced one) icon_redface.gif

artscallion Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #16 of 20

I hope you didn't take offense at my post either. I love your fondant and have posted so several times before. I was only trying to help clarify things. I'm certainly not ungrateful for all you've done.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:15pm
post #17 of 20

Michele,

You are wonderful, generous and kind. Their many of us who would miss you if you leave so stay.

Try to forgive/ignore those who try to frustrate you. You are a wealth of knowledge. You are very vauleable to us.

For every one person that complans there is at least 50 of us who does appreciate you.

DON'T LEAVE AND IGNORE THE PITA'S

artscallion Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCook

Michele,

"Try to forgive/ignore those who try to frustrate you."

I don't think anyone here is TRYING to frustrate Michelle.

Quote:

"DON'T LEAVE AND IGNORE THE PITA'S"

Really? I don't think anyone in this thread has done anything to warrant name calling. Lovely.

Sugarflowers Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #19 of 20

Adding to this post was obviously a huge mistake on my part. I did NOT mean to imply that I was offended. I'm not. I was frustrated with answering questions about the fondant for several years, not just this particular post. Probably more than 1/2 of my total posts are answering questions about this fondant. There is no way I could have know of the problems the original poster had. However, this is just one of many posts that I have answered. I also do not believe anyone is intentionally trying to frustrate me. That never crossed my mind.

nissi01, I am so sorry that it has come to this in this post. Computers can be such a pain in the rear. You did nothing wrong and I am very sorry that this post has gone awry.

In the future I will definitely be much more careful with my replies. icon_redface.gif

Michele (now embarrassed) Foster

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:

Michele,

"Try to forgive/ignore those who try to frustrate you."

I don't think anyone here is TRYING to frustrate Michelle.

Quote:

"DON'T LEAVE AND IGNORE THE PITA'S"

Really? I don't think anyone in this thread has done anything to warrant name calling. Lovely.

I was talking about all of the threads in general, not just this specific one.

As for the name calling I appoligize. I didn't mean to offend. I don't like to think about anyone thinking of leaving CC due to frustration.

I have benefited from Michele and others like her sharing their knowledge with CC. I have very limited time to come on CC to post in the forums and even less time to post my pictures. I have seen one too many of the sharing and caring CC decorators leave CC due to one thing or another.

That being said, That is all I will say on this matter. I will think before I post.

Electric Cook

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%