Can You Help Me? Pretty Please,...

Decorating By CAKEahuna Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm by CAKEahuna

CAKEahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEahuna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 9

I want to place some fondant stars on wire and have them coming out of my cake. I have no idea what to use to place them into the cake. I saw on Wilton that you can use "flower spikes?" I cannot find these anywhere. What do you use? Any Ideas?

Here is what it will look like...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25016830@N03/2551293174/

8 replies
CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 9

I use coffee stirrers. Just slide them into the cake, then slide in your wire. Works beautifully!

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 9

Have you asked you local florist if they have any? Otherwise I cant help. But here is a bump!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 9

i heard suggest using those plastic coffee stirsticks or really thin straws (to help give it stability) but i've done some in the past and put them directly in the cake. (mayself after reading about the straw, that's what i would do) hope that helps icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 9

you can put them into coffee stirrers or small/thin drinking straws or you can dip the wires in candy melts and then stick into the cake.

Some people put the wire directly into the cake but I don't think it is considered food safe.

Good luck!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 9

wow, I love the idea of the coffee stirrers. When I used just wire, they spun all around

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 9

They do have a tendency to move around if you do not put something else in there to make them more stable. Coffee stirrers would like a great idea. I usually keep those cheep straws from the dollar store around for it too.

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 9

I just had this question a couple of weeks ago. I used coffee stirrers in the cake and it worked great! I put a little dab of extra thick BC where they went in and they survived a car ride to the party spot!

Here's a pic!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1335972.html

Good luck!

CAKEahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEahuna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 9

Awesome! Thanks Ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%