Wedding Cake On Sat.how Early Can I Start?

Decorating By mommy2kids Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 2:25pm by clovely

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:33am
post #1 of 7

I am in wedding on sat and I have tons to do before then.. how soon can i prepare cakes and desserts?thanks

6 replies
mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:56am
post #2 of 7

How big of a cake is it? I like to bake at least 3 days prior to the event and that way I can put the cake in the freezer for a night. If I am really busy I will bake a week prior and freeze it. I make my buttercream and fontant usually a couple days before also. That way i can just put it together the day before and not worry bout baking. I like to be able to just focus on the creative process and not worry about anything else... lol!!!

good luck!
Kim

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:14am
post #3 of 7

The cake could be actually easier than the desserts. I agree - bake the weekend before (or any free day you get), freeze the cake (the layers). If you are freezing your cake, you can make it up to month before the event and nobody will be wiser.
Make your fondant or RI decorations at the same time (weekend or two before the event), let it dry. Should you make decorations for desserts, do the same.
On Wednesday, mix your buttercream and color it. On Thursday, fill your cake and crumbcoat it. On Friday decorate it. (Or you could move it one day - starting Tuesday.

The desserts are more tricky. Depending on what it is, you don't have as much "window" for them to taste fresh. Prepare all you can beforehand - all fondant/gumpaste or RI decorations can be made even weeks before, and "combine" it at the last moment.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 7

I normally make the icing on Tuesday. I bake the cakes on Wednesday. Crumbcoat/fill/fondant on Thursday/decorate on Friday. This is just a hobby for me. And the cakes are just for family activity things. And I have an 18th month old, so it's just really hard for me to speed up the process and give him the time and attention that he needs.

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 7

Yea, I think the weekend before is a great idea. I start ahead of time JUST in case something happens and I run out of something, or mess something up, or the oven decides to sabotage my cake (yes, this has happened before)...then I have plenty of time to fix it lol. Then like already said, freeze it. I actually make the BC right before I frost the cake, but you can definitely make it ahead of time. I would make any RI decorations and fondant the day before you use them. I actually crumb coat and frost the cake on the same day (this includes fondant), then add details the next day. I have 3 kids, so something this is all I CAN get done in a day lol. And you will have a full day to devote just to the details, helps you (or at least helps me) be more relaxed about it and make less mistakes lol.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 7

Just to clarify, are you in a wedding on A saturday, or THIS saturday? Because if it's this saturday, and you have to make the cake PLUS desserts, I hope you've started! Or I hope you don't value your sleep. IF it's for a saturday in the future, then the advice already given is very good.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 7

I'm having this issue because I just found out I have to take a CPR class Thursday night. Gumpaste pieces are made already. Can I stack & frost it tonight and then add fondant and decorate Friday? Problem is it's all in the freezer now and I won't be home till 2:00. Could give me 4-5 hours to thaw so I might be able to do that. Can it sit frosted on hold 48 hours, 72 hours till the party?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%