$2 A Serving And Up, Really??

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm by tab26852

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #31 of 199

I'm with you love2cook, I only bake for family and friends. I just took an order for a graduation/birthday cake 1/2 sheet, no filling and am getting a donation of $40.00. It won't take me very long (although I think I am really slow). I just enjoy doing cakes.

tab26852 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab26852 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #32 of 199

I completly understand how you feel about pricing your cakes to high. Where I live alot of people are also losing their jobs and not many people can afford to give much for a cake but would still like to try and make a family members birthday special now how are you suppose to charge 2.00 a slice to people like that. I just started selling cakes a few months ago and I have only been charging around .75 a slice thats about all you can get out of a Birthday cake in a small community because if you charge anymore than that people just go to walmart or shop-n-save and buy one. I guess until the economy improves and people are more secure in their jobs us that only makes a very small profit will just have to be satisfied with just doing it because we enjoy it.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:31pm
post #33 of 199

I started decorating cakes so that I could do cakes for my boys' birthdays and for family. I've always loved baking and decorating just fell in line. I haven't taken classes and it's only something that I did once in a while. As I've started making more and more, people keep asking how much I'd charge. My family won't let me just make a cake for them as a gift. They slip the money in my pockets or hide it in my coat or in the kids' diaper bag for me to find.

For my cousin's graduation cake (the '08 in my photos), my aunt gave me $120, when I found the money I was floored. I never expected her to pay me that. So how do you handle situations like that if you are just a home/hobby baker? I'm not licensed because I have dogs and I live in an apartment and have nowhere else that I could work from.

I will make cakes for a few close friends and I will ask them to cover for ingredients. Most everyone that I've baked for thinks that I deserve the going rate for cakes, and then I have to explain to them that I can't "legally" accept their payment. Most give me the money anyway and won't take it back. I feel like I'm slapping them in the faces when I'd love to be paid for the work that I've done if they request a specific cake. Some days it isn't even worth it to have a hobby if you feel this much guilt over doing something you enjoy.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #34 of 199

Love your cakes by the way. they are beautiful!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #35 of 199

I think this is a difficult subject. I too am very timid about pricing. We tend to think in terms of what we'd be willing to pay. You have to let that go. I wouldn't pay these prices either, but like someone said, that's why I learned to do cakes in the first place. It's not going to hurt someone to get a mix and make a birthday cake themselves if they don't want to pay what a decorator charges. In fact-- how nice for the recipient-- the person took the time to do it themselves! If you're not careful you'll find yourself with more business than you can handle, doing it too cheaply and regretting it! Ask anyone on here, even if you don't intend to do cakes for the public, it happens.
If after reading what everyone has to say about this, you still want to charge a modest amount--- the great thing about it is--- it's your choice. If you choose to do it out of the kindness of your heart---- bless you!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #36 of 199

For the OP, for me, a great way to settle the question of what to charge was simply to come to terms with the knowledge that it was not legal for me to charge anything in my state unless I had a set-up that complies with regulations. I love making cake, and am blessed to be at the point in my life where I can give them as a gift. If you love making them, and feel uncomfortable charging too much, and can afford to donate them, then release that guilt/burden by simply giving them from your heart --which seems to be the place (compassion) you are coming from based upon your original question.

Blessings as you struggle with your decision.
-W

DeeAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeAnne Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:14pm
post #37 of 199

A lot of food for thought. Last year my kids asked what I wanted for my birthday. I have always home made cakes just because of taste prefrence. Or we do ice cream cakes alot. But I always wanted to be able to decorate them nice. Since my children are teens now and do not require as much attention I asked for them to sign me up for cake decorating classes. My 19 year old daughter decided to do it with me. We attended the Wilton classes at Michaels last July and August. They are finally just offering the third class this month and we signed up for that also. However in the meantime I really took to it and love doing it. It started with a birthday cake for a co-worker now its becoming a business. I have been struggling with the $'s since day 1 and the fact that I should have a license. I find that I enjoy doing it and love to surprise myself. When I do if for $'s is find it to be very stressful I am so afraid they wont like it. As I get better and receive more request I am finding that my cakes are nice and they taste good.

I will now take time to call local bakers to find out pricing in my area. I have already looked into the cost of a license and found as long as I am not making thousands of dollars its not worth it. I make it very clear to people that it is done in my home and that I am not licensed. I will worry about that if I actually start to make a profit.

Thank You, all for your comments/post it is food for thought.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #38 of 199

Heck I wouldn't pay $$$$$$$$$ for a watercolor, but if I painted it and someone offered, I sure would take the money!
I wouldn't buy my cakes and cookies, I'm cheap. I'll make them though. Folks are glad to get them.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:08pm
post #39 of 199

Ok, so here are my 2 cents (and they are Canadian so apparently not worth as much as American)
First of all licensed/unlicensed bakers, home bakers or not has been a hot topic here. Can we just leave it out for the time being??
Someone put it very well previously (possibly in another thread): what would you want you daughter to be paid if it was her making the cake?
I enjoy my job, but I will not work here for free. I need to watch out for my family.
It comes down to basic needs and wants. First, you do not NEED a birthday cake, but I know I sure as h*ll WANT one. People don't NEED beautiful cakes, they WANT them, and given that they are a luxury item and they should pay as such. Let's say I need a new pair of jeans. I don't NEED apair of Juicy Couture jeans, but I want them. Also, the little mom and pop store down the street won't discount them more than Macy's. Don't undercut yourself because people can't afford it. If you can't afford it, and you dont NEED it, don't buy it.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #40 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

I enjoy my job, but I will not work here for free. I need to watch out for my family.
It comes down to basic needs and wants. First, you do not NEED a birthday cake, but I know I sure as h*ll WANT one. People don't NEED beautiful cakes, they WANT them, and given that they are a luxury item and they should pay as such. Let's say I need a new pair of jeans. I don't NEED apair of Juicy Couture jeans, but I want them. Also, the little mom and pop store down the street won't discount them more than Macy's. Don't undercut yourself because people can't afford it. If you can't afford it, and you dont NEED it, don't buy it.

Amen to that! thumbs_up.gif . Well put pouchet82!!!!!

That is the last thing I will say on this subject.

Bea

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #41 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cook721

I have a hard time justifying pricing cakes at $2.00 per serving, because I wouldn't pay that.

Irrelavent. I wouldn't pay $500 for a Coach purse either, but I'm not in an income bracket that would allow me to purchase one anyways. Those that are...cool! But if someone wants a Coach purse cake, and wants to pay what I am going to charge...right on! Dismiss the notion about whether or not you would pay for it, because three are people who will. And go after them.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #42 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkenimer

We tend to think in terms of what we'd be willing to pay.

Not me....maybe you, I don't allow this to influence my pricing at all.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #43 of 199

I charge $100 for an 8" cake torted and fully decorated with custom board and I have NO qualms doing so. If someone wants a custom cake they will pay for it. If they just want a sheet cake go to walmart. I'm not in the business of shoting myself in the foot for the sake of someone's wallet. Cake is a luxury item.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #44 of 199

$20 is a lot for a cake when you can get one at Sam's for $16 or $17.

NO NO NO NO it is not! I can't belive a custom cake creator could even say something so, pardon me, but flat out full of sh**! Those cakes are not even in the same level as custom cakes...please! Sheesh....this is getting so old.

You are worth more. If you stand steady to that, and can show people why your cake costs more, and justifiably so, they will begin to appreciate the hardwork, quality ingredients (if you scratch) and decorating skills that cannot ever be matched by a mass producing grocery store baker! Arrgh!!

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #45 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I charge $100 for an 8" cake torted and fully decorated with custom board and I have NO qualms doing so. If someone wants a custom cake they will pay for it. If they just want a sheet cake go to walmart. I'm not in the business of shoting myself in the foot for the sake of someone's wallet. Cake is a luxury item.

Dang shooting....and I don't recall Jeanne ever complaining that she was hurting for business either! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #46 of 199

And about the whole "people are out of work and aren't spending on luxury items anymore"...I call BS on that too. There are plenty of thos situations where I am. And plenty of people who are still living comfortably, and they keep ordering the cakes. And when things turn around, if you have slashed your prices so shorribly and people get used to it....good luck bringing them back up, it's gonna be tough. You've now set a precedence with people saying cake is cake, and I'm going to practically give it away....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #47 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

And about the whole "people are out of work and aren't spending on luxury items anymore"...I call BS on that too. There are plenty of thos situations where I am. And plenty of people who are still living comfortably, and they keep ordering the cakes. And when things turn around, if you have slashed your prices so shorribly and people get used to it....good luck bringing them back up, it's gonna be tough. You've now set a precedence with people saying cake is cake, and I'm going to practically give it away....

Amen! (Jamie, you've pretty much been making all the points I would make but I had to chime in on this one.)

My average invoice for a wedding is almost double this year what it was last year. April is going to be a FIVE YEAR RECORD month in sales. My mantra is "Recession? Really? No Shit? Huh!"

It's been said so often but I'm saying it again, too. You can NOT base your pricing on what you would pay. That is the most ridiculous justification I've ever heard! It just does not factor into a pricing structure.

When I joined CC and saw the prices people charged, I didn't turn into a whiny wallflower, wringing my hands and mumbling about how "gosh, no one would pay that HERE!" I didn't spend one second worrying about trying to make everyone LIKE me and not wanting to hurt people's FEEEEEEEELINNNNNNNGS with a "high" price. Heck no, not me! I stood up and said, "If THEY can get it, *I* can get it!" And you know what? I've more than doubled my pricing in 2 years and no one bats an eye.

If you dont' want to charge people what a cake is worth ... fine.... then just give them away. But don't walk around pretending that you run a "little cake business". Because unless you are pricing appropriately to cover ALL of your costs, then you're not running a business. And "costs" include much more than just "cost of ingredients and some pocket money when I'm done."

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #48 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cook721

I have a hard time justifying pricing cakes at $2.00 per serving, because I wouldn't pay that. I recently started decorating and am good at it. I have people asking if I will bake a cake and what I will charge. When I look at the charts and come up with a price at the $2 price I think to myself "I wouldn't have paid that much last year for a cake from someone else" A few others I have talked to seem to think it seems high too.

Two weeks ago I bought a 2 layer - 9" square cake from the best (in my opinion) baker in New Orleans and the price was 32.95 with tax (I was told the cake fed 20 people so that breaks down to $1.65 a slice). The cake had so-so butter cream decorations, but it had strawberry filling and tasted like a slice of heaven.

So OP don't sweat your prices, there are legit US bakeries that are charging less than you!

edited---

I should add that their small cakes are cheap, but their prices go up exponentially as the number of servings increase. Maybe they are just using the small cakes as a form of advertising. Smart people. They have me hooked.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #49 of 199

my friend did me a great favor a couple of weeks ago when i couldn't get out from under the cake i was doing, so she ran some errands for me...i took her out yesterday to a local italian restaurant chain, "buca di beppo"...she doesn't know i'm paying, so she orders her dinner, and then a "chocolate versuvius" dessert (chocolate brownie/cake with two scoops of ice cream and caramel sauce)...i insist on paying for everything, look over the bill, and the dessert alone was $11.99!

yeah...i'd say your indecison over charging $2.00 a slice is a bit insane.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #50 of 199

I know that so-o-o much depends on your area. A friend asked me once what I would charge her for a wedding cake that, as described, would be pretty simple. I told her I'd do it for $1.75/slice (it was a couple years ago). She was ecstatic, because everyone she had contacted wanted $2/slice (these were not the grocery stores, but actual bakeries). So do I think the OP is off her rocker for only charging $2...no. It all depends on the area. If the typical price in her area was $5, she'd be a fool to underprice herself like that. But I know there are many areas where $2 is pretty much the average rate.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #51 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

my friend did me a great favor a couple of weeks ago when i couldn't get out from under the cake i was doing, so she ran some errands for me...i took her out yesterday to a local italian restaurant chain, "buca di beppo"...she doesn't know i'm paying, so she orders her dinner, and then a "chocolate versuvius" dessert (chocolate brownie/cake with two scoops of ice cream and caramel sauce)...i insist on paying for everything, look over the bill, and the dessert alone was $11.99!

yeah...i'd say your indecison over charging $2.00 a slice is a bit insane.

Exactly! I know some fancy schmancy restaurants make their desserts on site, but most don't icon_sad.gif And they still cost boocoo bucks. But seriously, when that mass produced frozen wedge of cheesecake from the drive thru at Jack In The Box is going to cost $2.00 and up.....wow!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #52 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyC3

Quote:
Quote:

No way would i be selling myself short -
I believe in the *get what you pay for* addage -

BlueHue, I believe that adage also. However, I also understand what is being insinuated by your comment - that people selling cakes at "cheap" prices are also selling "cheap", crappy cakes, and people selling cakes at higher prices must be selling a much nicer product.

I have attached a few examples of just what people "get" when they "pay for" my product - at $2.00 a serving for tiered / wedding cakes.

I enjoy my work, and I value my art as much as any other decorater here on CC. We all must price based on so many factors...scratch or mix, shop or home, sole income or second income, and most importantly, LOCATION.

Personally, I bake from a mix, work from home, provide the secondary income in our home, and I live in a small midwestern town. According to my expenditure spreadsheets, a 1/2 sheet cake costs me just over $11.00 in supplies, from eggs right down to the board and the box, and I charge $45.00.

My tiered cakes go for $2 per svg and up, carved and mad hatter for $4 a svg and up, and I choose to keep my basic party cakes (sheets, rounds, squares) at a flat price each ($25 for an 8" round, for example) - and most of them come out to around $1.25-$1.50 per serving.

I choose to keep my prices the same as the two major cake shops / bakeries in the city located near my small town, as their product and mine are comparable.

So luv2cook - I totally understand where you're coming from. I've been on CC for quite a while now and have always been too afraid to speak out on any of the pricing forums. But just know you are NOT the only one who feels this way!

I absolutely believe the people making $5, $8, and $10 a serving are totally justified, and I am glad they are able to get that price. But I also understand people who charge less; trying to compare pricing on a worldwide forum is comparing apples to oranges - so I try to remember to take all of our wildly different circumstances into account instead of chastising people who may price on the lower end.

Quote:
Quote:

Actually i just went back and re-read your thread -
And now i understnad why you won't charge $2.00
Because you won't pay it yourself

*phew* - that shouldn't of been so difficult for me to fathom

By the way, BlueHue...

Where I live, the vast majority of people will NOT pay premium prices - hell, I WOULDN'T EITHER! (That's part of the reason I learned to make 'em myself!) icon_lol.gif

Very WELL said! I usually stay out of these discussions as well because there are so many varying opinions but you really took the words right out of my mouth.

I don't see why the Baking industry should be any different than any other industry. Nothing ever costs the same across the board because we don't all make the same amount of money. No one complains that to get a T-Shirt at Kohl's it would cost $15-$20 but I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a T-Shirt for $9...That's what we call commerce folks. All items from something as simple as a T-Shirt to a freakin' house are priced differently based on so many variables....location, size, neighborhood. Baking is the same everyone...

In my area there is an East & West Shore...Things are more expensive on the West Shore as, for the most part, it is more upscale. That doesn't mean that it's unfair - that's just the way it is. The businesses on the West Short can charge more money because they have people that will pay it. Those on the East Shore charge less for the most part - to challenge that fact is where you start to get into price fixing and that, my friends, is illegal.

It gets me every time when people charging the upward prices complain that they are being undercut and whine about it - that's business and that's each business owner's right to do.

I think you should do what's right for you and your business or hobby. If you are happy getting only enough to cover your ingredients and maybe buy some fun cake tools for yourself then I say go for it and good luck!

Tammi

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #53 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When I joined CC and saw the prices people charged, I didn't turn into a whiny wallflower, wringing my hands and mumbling about how "gosh, no one would pay that HERE!" I didn't spend one second worrying about trying to make everyone LIKE me and not wanting to hurt people's FEEEEEEEELINNNNNNNGS with a "high" price. Heck no, not me! I stood up and said, "If THEY can get it, *I* can get it!" And you know what? I've more than doubled my pricing in 2 years and no one bats an eye.

If you dont' want to charge people what a cake is worth ... fine.... then just give them away. But don't walk around pretending that you run a "little cake business". Because unless you are pricing appropriately to cover ALL of your costs, then you're not running a business. And "costs" include much more than just "cost of ingredients and some pocket money when I'm done."

AMEN!

IMO, it boils down to a self-esteem issue. You teach others how to treat you, plain and simple. If you don't think you deserve to be treated with respect (and yes, people paying you a living wage is a form of respect) then other people won't think you deserve it either. And boy, you know they won't.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #54 of 199

My neighbor is the executive chef at a very fancy local restuant and I was just mentioning to him yesterday that I've noticed that even with our economy being in the toilet, people still manage to eat out. (maybe it has something to do with lifting spirits/escapism?)

Businesses around here are closing left and right, but he was saying that resturants don't seem to be as effected... people are spending less, but eating out just as much.

edited to add~ if people want the cake bad enough, they will pay the price. icon_smile.gif Otherwise, there wouldn't be as many successful decorators as there are.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #55 of 199

I wouldn't work for less then minimum wage and I wouldn't work for minimum wage. I have a family and goals /dreams to live and if you can't afford it or thinks it's simply too much then go somewhere else! If the order is for close family etc I consider it a gift!

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #56 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Jeanne, you make INCREDIBLE cakes (as do soooo many other CC members!) - I go to your photos often for inspiration! And while of COURSE I think my cakes are fabulous icon_lol.gif , yours are a whole different level of fabulous-ness! You - and so many others on this site - would be crazy NOT to charge $5, or more, per serving for the premium flavors and fillings you offer, plus you cover most (all?) of your cakes in fondant and do amazing gumpaste floral work.

I'm not ashamed to admit that the majority of the cakes I do are standard white or chocolate, two non-torted layers filled with a basic buttercream, and placed on cardboard cake rounds covered with white freezer paper. I rarely cover in fondant, and have never learned to do gumpaste flowers other than the very basics in a Wilton class. I'm NOT putting down my own work - but there IS a niche for the type of cakes I sell - custom designed and much nicer than a chain store, yet not upscale / couture, either.

When I start doing intricate, fancy flavors and fillings that require pricey supplies, cover only in fondant, custom decorate beautifully detailed cake boards, and can make life-like gumpaste flowers like Jeanne (and believe me - I'd love to do all those things someday!), I will absolutely charge $5 per serving for an 8" cake! At this point, though, I am selling to a different market - hence my different pricing!

txcupcake said...

Quote:
Quote:

AMEN!

IMO, it boils down to a self-esteem issue. You teach others how to treat you, plain and simple. If you don't think you deserve to be treated with respect (and yes, people paying you a living wage is a form of respect) then other people won't think you deserve it either.

...but I do NOT buy that! I absolutely do not feel abused by charging $2 a serving! I've given many a "lesson" to non-cake-people about why it's NOT "just cake", and just how much time and effort goes into a cake - from planning to shopping to piping the final details. My cake is a DIFFERENT PRODUCT than the one Jeanne can offer. (Sorry Jeanne! I just used you as an example of the type of cakes I'm referring to as high-end / upscale...I hope you take it as the compliment it's intended to be!)

I don't want to see talented decoraters underprice themselves - but please remember that we all offer DIFFERENT products to DIFFERENT markets.

Man. Now I'm going to have to add a "Messing Around On Cake Central Fee" to all my cake orders that I SHOULD be working on right now! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #57 of 199

To the OP - you have to understand that eventhough you want to offer McDonald's prices for your product are you producing at that level to truly make any money? If making money isn't your goal with decorating then please stop selling your cakes (which you are more than likely doing in an unlicensed home kitchen or your permit costs and other expenditures necessary to be considered a legitimate business would certainly up your fees), give them away as gifts. But if you are wanting to make money then by God MAKE IT! Sit down and truly figure out how much it costs you in ingredients, paper goods, utilities, and your time, also if you took classes factor in the cost of that too. It truly isn't about just ingredients. Aren't your talents worth more to you?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #58 of 199
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

No way would i be selling myself short -
I believe in the *get what you pay for* addage -

BlueHue, I believe that adage also. However, I also understand what is being insinuated by your comment -

Well apparently you have read between the lines because i didn't say..... that people selling cakes at "cheap" prices are also selling "cheap", crappy cakes, and people selling cakes at higher prices must be selling a much nicer product....
No, i won't sell myself short - my time and effort is just that - and when someone puts a thread up and says *your thoughts?* - well i type what i think - simple as that....and if every one was honest we do get what we pay for - in every aspect of life - if i buy cheap outta date flour - then my cakes would be cheap cruddy cakes - but they are not - and i have set my prices and until the heavens above open up and say *NO BLUEHUE* then don't jump on my back thanks very much and critisize me because i dared to have *my thoughts*.
I don't recall typing anyone elses thoughts - nope just mine - thumbs_up.gif

By the way, BlueHue...

Where I live, the vast majority of people will NOT pay premium prices - hell, I WOULDN'T EITHER! (That's part of the reason I learned to make 'em myself!) icon_lol.gif
Thats your perogative - but again - don't slam those of us who have set our prices for the work that we do - If i want something in life - then i will pay the asking price - simple as that really - and if someone wants one of my cakes then they will pay the price i set - otherwise they can toddle off down the road to get something mass produced from behind the glass counter.
Sheeezzzzzz - who knew that having ones own thoughts and airing them would be so damming - misconstruded and apparently difficult.
Perhaps if you don't want to know everyones *honest* thoughts - don't ask for them ......*shakes head*
Charge what you want - pay want you want - what ever fluffs your skirt -
But please don't get all *thingy* at me because i do charge more and am happy to pay more.....for the things i want....and then have the nerve to speak open and honstly.
Its a subject on a cake forum - not a competition into cake heaven.

Time for a coffee. icon_rolleyes.gif
Bluehue.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #59 of 199

This topic never ceases to amaze me..........did I actually read a post that said they charge .75 cents a serving? icon_eek.gif

My COST per serving is about $1 to $1.25 depending on ingredients ( I bake exclusively from scratch, including fondant).

I know how much I'm paying for a lb of butter, flour, sugar etc.......are you telling me that in other areas of the US they are giving away these ingredients? Are your grocery prices that much lower then mine here in MA?

They would have to be because at .75 cents/serv I'd be losing money.

Have you ladies actually sat down and figured out how much per serving it's costing you?

I think if you're even considering this as a business, whether it's first, second or tenth income doesn't matter, you need to know what your costs are.

You are doing yourself and your family a disservice if you don't. By charging such low prices, you're not only taking money out of your household income, but you're taking valuable time away from your family by spending hrs doing a cake that you're losing money on.

Did you ever think of it that way? I guess that's the difference between a business and a hobby. Which is fine if you're comfortable with that.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #60 of 199
Quote:

I absolutely do not feel abused by charging $2 a serving! I've given many a "lesson" to non-cake-people about why it's NOT "just cake", and just how much time and effort goes into a cake - from planning to shopping to piping the final details. My cake is a DIFFERENT PRODUCT than the one Jeanne can offer. (Sorry Jeanne! I just used you as an example of the type of cakes I'm referring to as high-end / upscale...I hope you take it as the compliment it's intended to be!)

I don't want to see talented decoraters underprice themselves - but please remember that we all offer DIFFERENT products to DIFFERENT markets.

Man. Now I'm going to have to add a "Messing Around On Cake Central Fee" to all my cake orders that I SHOULD be working on right now! icon_biggrin.gif

It's hypothetical example time!

Say you and Jeanne live in the same area and y'all decide to work side by side. You each make the same cake, using the same ingredients and decor in the same time frame. Do you think that Jeanne's cake is worth more than yours?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%