Wilting Flowers?

Decorating By LucyintheSky Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 2:08am by Butterfly27

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 5

Sorry for yet another gumpaste question, but I've watched several tutorials and haven't seen this addressed yet. I've been working for about a week on my first try at gumpaste roses and the rosebuds look great, so I'm happy with that! The problem I'm having is that when I start to put outside layers of petals on to make the full rose in bloom look, the petals are wilting. They're droopy and I can't get them to stay upright. They start out looking okay but when I leave them to dry they slowly collapse... I tried drying them upside down but then they were too close to the inside petals and looked bad. Any suggestions about this? Thanks!!

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 5

i keep an eye on them. dry upside down a bit, check and reposition, and repeat!
xx

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 5

This is silly and I don't know if anyone else does this but here 'ya go. You know those egg cartons that are clear plastic and fold open? They are 3 sections when you open them completely. I have found that it works well to nestle the finished flower down into those until they dry. The sides hold up the petals. I am new and have never worked with gumpaste but it sure works good with MMF daffodils! I have bought the expensive eggs just to get the cartons and have about 6 of these that I wash and reuse! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 5

Either of the two offered methods work.
Mostly one would hang gp flowers upside down by their wires to dry.
If you're like me and hate using wires unless there is NO other way, then you have to put them into some kind of container to held the petals until they dry.

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #5 of 5

When I make any kind of gumpaste flowers I use a mini muffin pan. Brush cornstarch on the inside of each muffin cup and layer your flowers together inside those. Give them a couple days to dry and then you can take them out of the muffin pan and they hold their shape. Hope the info helps you. Good luck with your future gumpaste flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%