M&m Cake

Decorating By samantha22c Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 6:37am by sweetcakesbyrebecca

samantha22c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samantha22c Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 28

Hi. My mothers birthday is coming up and she collects m&m stuff so I thought it would be great to make her an m&m character. I've tried to search on the website to find some inspiration but nothing comes up. If anyone could give me so tips on how to go about this project I would be super excited to get all the advice, tips or know how possible.

27 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 28

Sorry, I'm no help, but here's a bump.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 28

I have no idea why they don't show up when you search them (I keep trying and it says there are none) but there are quite a few in 3d cakes - food. You will just have to look page to page to find an inspiration.

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 28

I found this one: http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-mm-character-cake-10.html

Explains how she did it, (2) 9" cakes, iced and piped, and Mr. Potato Head arms and feet (these could be made in gumpast)

Or this one: http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/homemade_cake_recipe.html#c2

Says she used a 9" cake pan, but it also looks like half a ball cake pan on top, which could be done in cake, if you need a lot of servings, or rice krispies if you don't.

There's another one, but the picture link (to the page that describes it and shows a big picture) is bad, it looks like a ball-shaped pan, covered in fondant and decorated like the green m&M with fondant accessories. Here is the main page with the small pic: http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/homemade_cake_recipe.html It's pic 15.

HTH!

Edit: as I went back to check my message, the ad over here ----> was the Red M&M with a "Mom" tattoo on icon_biggrin.gif Thought it was a little ironic.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 28

I did the 3d red and yellow M and M guys several years back, i used the 3d ball pan and sliced off a section on each side to give it a more flatter appearance, used the 3d egg pan for the peanut guy, twinkies cut in half and iced for feet..

GenGen Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 28

oh Red has that little "hair tufft" on top cause I had to insert a dowel there for transportation and to keep him sitting UP lol so i had to cover it some how. he was not made with hands as i figured he looked fine as is.. if i made the cake NOw i might add arms but.. these two are still my favorite cakes of all the ones i have made so far

GenGen Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 28

oh Red has that little "hair tufft" on top cause I had to insert a dowel there for transportation and to keep him sitting UP lol so i had to cover it some how. he was not made with hands as i figured he looked fine as is.. if i made the cake NOw i might add arms but.. these two are still my favorite cakes of all the ones i have made so far

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 28

This one was fun to make and very simple. First of all
((((((((HUGE HUGS)))))))) to the person who ever created the "candy bowl". The M&M character is just a 6in. MMF cake. The arms and legs also MMF.

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 28

This one was fun to make and very simple. First of all
((((((((HUGE HUGS)))))))) to the person who ever created the "candy bowl". The M&M character is just a 6in. MMF cake. The arms and legs also MMF.
LL

ILoveMy6Boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveMy6Boys Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 28

OH GenGen, those guys are soooo adorable!!!! I love em! I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" this idea sometime! You did a fantastic job and I didn't even notice that red had no arms icon_biggrin.gif

GenGen Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 28

No problem thats what we're here for isn't it? icon_smile.gif nice n easy lol. i belive in finding the simplest way. was just star tips.. 18 i think depending how your star tip is fashioned. they Do make a difference other wise you may need to go smaller or change the consistency of your icing. unfortunetely i cannot find that shade of red anymore, right after i made that cake it was discontinued. Politically correctness i guess-the shade was called Chinese red. Perfect shade of red- cannot find anything close to it anymore regrettably.

oh dowels for the legs of course, arms.. sprinkle matching Real m&m's around the cakes icon_smile.gif

jodei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodei Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 28

I have an m & m cake in my photos. Not sure if its what you are looking for but its a different idea. When I searched for the m & m idea there wasn't too much to go off of since I was making mine on a flat sheet cake. Hth

samantha22c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samantha22c Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 28

Thanks so much!
GenGen how did you get the egg halves to stay together and stand up? Thanks for everyones help!

GenGen Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #14 of 28

leveling the bottom helped alot.. i think i must have used a couple skewers to hold them in place too, not dowels, those are too big. i do remember using skewers. I made this cake well over 7 years ago.. lol...

i think what helped is they didn't have to be transported more then a half a block distance. (from my MIL's house to my SIL's)

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #15 of 28

Mommak -- your M&M cake is just too cute!!

ILoveMy6Boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveMy6Boys Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:26pm
post #16 of 28

Mommak,

I love the candy bowl!!! It's like your red mmy is in a candy hot tub! icon_biggrin.gif

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #17 of 28

Here are mine that I made using GenGen's for inspiration! I did the Twinkies and straws too. I smoothed my BC. I didn't dowel it and it traveled fine!
LL

GenGen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #18 of 28

those are So cute!! i could never have gotten mine that smooth!! (thats why i went the star tip method lol was still just a few years in to a hobby decorating)

great job! i just love the grass work

aww i feel all warm inside now .. one of my cakes inspired another hehe

the ones i did originally weren't modled after another cake, infact at that time i had never seen a 3d m and m cake (i was still discovering 3d pans! lol) hubby had gotten me flowers several times and a few of those times they came with a large plush red and yellow and green m&m figure. remind me to post a pic of them this weekend.

how did you get them so smooth?*looks a little closer* did you use fondant? sorry i couldn't tell lol. icon_smile.gif

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

how did you get them so smooth?*looks a little closer* did you use fondant? sorry i couldn't tell lol. icon_smile.gif

no, it's buttercream. I just patted the heck out of them with my trusty Viva paper towel! These are still my favorite to date!

GenGen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #20 of 28

yah my M&M dudes will probably be my faves

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:34pm
post #21 of 28

Those cakes are lovely

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #22 of 28

I made these last week. There are better picture in my photos.
LL

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #23 of 28

There is one in my photos if you want to check it out. It's my "Mr. and Mrs. M&M" cake that I did for an engagement party. So much fun to do!

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #24 of 28

Here's the link to one I did for my grandson and his friend. The characters were 6" round cakes on foil covered boards, held up by bubble tea straws in the back. They were put on the 12x18 sheet cake when I took the cake to the party venue. Arms, hands and pennants are fondant.

http://cakes.dqd.com/Birthdays_web/images/M%26M%20cake.jpg

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:22am
post #25 of 28

How about doing something like this? You could use any size pan you want just make the limbs the appropriate sizes.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.....id=1305435

Or how about these for inspiration:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1258022

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1221136

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:26pm
post #26 of 28

cakecrazy -- your M&M cakes turned out so cute!!

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:57am
post #27 of 28

Thanks. They were fun to make. I'm still learning so I cant do the ones sitting up like the others. I was pretty happy with the way they turned out.

sweetcakesbyrebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyrebecca Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:37am
post #28 of 28

here is an m&m cake I did. I made the characters out of crispies and covered them in marshmallow fondant. The cake has mini m&m's in the filling and dark chocolate buttercream.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%