Really???? Aarg!

Business By karateka Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 7:17am by Chef_Stef

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 37

I had a nice email from a lady who wanted an individual cake for 1 person. She doesn't want to pay the $65 minimum order (understandably.....but still, I have to have a minimum). I told her I don't bake for 1 for cost and logistical reasons (all very polite) but told her that if she wanted it for the same weekend as someone else, I could probably increase their batter by my minimum mixer amount (4 servings) and bake hers alongside theirs (trying my best to be helpful).

I quoted her $12 for this one person little chickie cake, all buttercream, but if the cost of 4 servings, plus icing, plus the board and box is included, my cost is $9.50. I thought I was being reasonable since she is wanting something custom for 1 person! (plus, for 4 servings of cake she's really getting more cake than 1 person's worth...)

Now she says since it's that much, she wants to "test" it first! Really????

You want me to bake for 1 and give you a test one first??? icon_mad.gif

Am I way off base, here?

36 replies
keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 37

no.. she's nuts

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 37

Quote the test cake as $65.00 minimum order fee.... icon_evil.gificon_wink.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 37

Uh, yeah, she's totally nuts. I'd tell her I was too busy for anymore orders that week and save myself the headache. Seriously, a tasting for a 1-person cake? LOL!

keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 37

or tell her that a cake for one is also called a cupcake, lol

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 37

Has there been a lack of secruity at the assylums? All the crazy's have been let out!!
icon_razz.gificon_eek.gif
Who the heck orders a cake for one??
Sounds like someone trying to get something for nothing.....

run away.......keep running icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 37

you're not off base. that's nuts

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 37

don't do it! run!

you were being more than kind and generous to her and now she's taking advantage...

you'll thank yourself if you just let this one go icon_wink.gif

good luck!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 37

I commend you for going out of your way to accommodate her request. I would have done the same. But the minute she balked at $12, I would've dropped her like a hot potato. Too much drama for too little cake. thumbsdown.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 37

My rule is no samplings allowed for events under 100 servings. So basically unless you have a large party or wedding with 100 or more, I am not giving you a free sample...period!

I agree with what an above poster said...

"my minimum fee for a sample cake is $65"

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 37

Yeah, I agree that a cake for one is a cupcake. She is the nutty one here.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm
post #12 of 37

Give her directions to Wal Mart and she can buy a package of hostess cupcakes. It serves 2 but it's the smallest you can get. Otherwise she can buy a donut!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 37

Lose her, she's nuts!!! But I'd tell her the honest truth. She needs to at least be told what she wants is ridiculous. Whether she'll HEAR you is doubtful. Geesh...............

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 37

Wow and I thought it was bad when this lady emailed me wanting to have a tasting for a 30 serving cake. But even before we got to that point she asked for me like fifty billion other questions. I gave her a timeline and them all of a sudden got booked icon_wink.gif

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 37

No, I'm having a really hard time believing this was a serious question. I'd be thinking someone is playing a joke on you. ...complete nutjob would have to be the only other possible explanation. That's just too weird. Where do these people come from?

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #16 of 37

She is a joke,i would just ignore her.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #17 of 37

she is probably going to use the "test" cake as the cake she actually needs!!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:47pm
post #18 of 37

Ummm...isn't this why you originally had a $65 minimum. I would have stuck with that, no exceptions! Otherwise you run into these kinds of problems....

Since you already quoted her $12. tell her what you originally quoted her $12 is final, no tastings unless she orders 100 of them then you will give her a tasting, or you can charge her $25 for the tasting. Whichever. You could also direct her to....oh shoot what is the name of that place that sells those cool mini cakes online for $40-80+ bucks?" I can't find it.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasualKitchen

I commend you for going out of your way to accommodate her request. I would have done the same. But the minute she balked at $12, I would've dropped her like a hot potato. Too much drama for too little cake. thumbsdown.gif

My thoughts exactly icon_eek.gif !

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #20 of 37

Most ppl want somthin' for nothing icon_rolleyes.gif if you wont do it she will find a sucker that will.
I wouldn't do it and I think you shouldn't do it! Who needs that bs....

karateka Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #21 of 37

I told her that I didn't have any orders for her weekend, but since I would be baking the weekend before (for wedding tasting day) that I would have been willing to bake the extra batter and freeze it for her, since I was baking anyway.

I stated that in order to keep costs down, I only do tastings for cakes serving 100 or more.

She thanked me for the information.

Really, she was very nice. She had a picture of the cake she wanted and one of her attempt to duplicate it (which she said she found out she couldn't do! icon_lol.gif ). I just couldn't believe the audacity. A tasting for a single serving cake! And yes.....those are called cupcakes. Do people really think you can bake one cupcake at a time? icon_confused.gif

I told my mom about this....she owns a dog grooming shop (you should hear some of her stories!) and she told me she wouldn't have done it for less than $20.

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #22 of 37

I BELIEVE YOU, THERE ARE SOME CRAZY PEOPLE OUT THERE. ONCE I HAVE A LADY REQUESTING A 2 SERVING CAKE, THE FIRST SERVING SHOULD BE A JELLY BEAN LIKE CAKE, AND THE 2ND ONE SHOULD BE IN TOBLERONE SHAPE.........AND DE FRIKIN LADY WANT DELIVERY, (MORE THAN 20 MILES AWAY), AND SHE WANTED TO PAY NO MORE OF HER $18 BUDGET. BY THEY WAY SHE GOT OFFENDED WHEN I TOLD HER TO GO TO THE STORE AND BUY TWINKIES.....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #23 of 37

They DO think that you can bake one cupcake at a time. I had one client ask to taste a couple of flavors, and said that she didn't want me to go to any trouble, just one cupcake of each would be fine icon_lol.gif

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #24 of 37

I would definitely send her to walmart icon_confused.gif .

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #25 of 37

CAN'T. STOP. LAUGHING.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm
post #26 of 37

Santa_Kitchen I love you! I'm glad you had the nerve to ttell her to go get twinkies, cause she was REAKKY nutty to even ask for her request.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

They DO think that you can bake one cupcake at a time. I had one client ask to taste a couple of flavors, and said that she didn't want me to go to any trouble, just one cupcake of each would be fine icon_lol.gif

Yes because making a batch of batter and frosting, turning on my oven, cleaning my kitchen, and taking the time to bake and frost it is not any trouble for one cupcake. Everyone knows that! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #28 of 37

Ya know....when one can go into Walmart and ask the chick for a sample of cake from the scraps they just got done sawing off of the 50 bazillion sheetcakes they are assembly line decorating....it stands to reason that denser people out there assume that you too can pull a scrap out from somewhere too. Where from exactly...imaginiation should play in here. Hee hee.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Give her directions to Wal Mart and she can buy a package of hostess cupcakes. It serves 2 but it's the smallest you can get. Otherwise she can buy a donut!

"Oh I can't do an order that small but I DO know a bakery that does. They have a sign over their door that says "Hostess"!"

karateka Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Oh I can't do an order that small but I DO know a bakery that does. They have a sign over their door that says "Hostess"!"

Wish I had thought of that! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%