Decorating Pillars Question.

Decorating By sasporella Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm by j-pal

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:24am
post #1 of 3

I am making a golf themed cake for the weekend and the top tier is going to be supported by pillars. I had an idea that i would like the pillars to look like trees but i can't find a tutorial on how to do this. Do i use sugarpaste or gumpaste to cover them? Has anyone got a tutorial/instructions on how to do this please or can point me in the right direction of where to find one. Thankyou in advance.

2 replies
sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 3

Does anyone know please.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 3

I don't have a tutorial and I'm not entirely sure the finished look that you're going for, but just off the top of my head this is my suggestion:

Attach your columns to the plates (top and bottom) with hot glue. (I do this with a low-temp glue gun so that it holds it, but will peel apart when I need to separate them later.) I'd either use royal icing and pipe the body of the tree on the columns with some roots spreading out on the bottom plate and some branches spreading out onto the top plate. Additional details or branches could be piped after the cake is constructed, if needed. Or, you could do the same with fondant by wraping it around and adding details with an embossing tool or anything semi-pointed.

I don't know if this helps, but good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%