How Do I Get Those Perfect Scrolls?

Decorating By cdent Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm by marisanovy

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:48am
post #1 of 7

I think I have cake piping anxiety because I can draw the scrolls I want on a piece of paper but then I start freaking out when it's time to pipe them on the cake and they come out all different shapes and sizes! Any tips on making them more uniform? I was thinking of using rubber stamps...

6 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:17am
post #2 of 7

Stamps would work. Or you could buy some impression mats, make an RI stamp, use the pinprick method or do it freehand. I'm sure there are other methods but this is what comes to mind right before my bed time icon_lol.gif .

Hope that gives you some ideas.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:16am
post #3 of 7

Wilton has 2 sets of scroll impressions - basically you stamp them into the icing, then trace over with whatever you're using - RI, buttercream, chocolate. The sets include all sorts of shapes and sizes. I got them at a cake specialty store, and I've also seen them at Michael's and various cake specialty webstores.

Since I can barely draw a stick figure free-handed, this seems to be the way to go for me. I've only used them twice, but the cakes looked decent when I was finished, and more impressive than the effort that I actually put in. (I really need to take more pictures of the stuff I do)

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 7

I have made a "stamp" out of floral wire. I bend it to whatever shape I want, leaving a tail at one end, and bend that tail out. Use that as your handle, and you have a custom shape that is uniform around the whole cake!

HTH icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

I have made a "stamp" out of floral wire. I bend it to whatever shape I want, leaving a tail at one end, and bend that tail out. Use that as your handle, and you have a custom shape that is uniform around the whole cake!

HTH icon_smile.gif

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 7

And when you go to pip them, make sure your cake is well s=chilld, and put that tip on the surface, and keep it there while you outline. So parts of your scrolls don't sage and come apart and droop. That helps me. Th last cake I piped scrolls on came out pretty nice, perfect swoops! Before, I was holding the tip out away fromthe surface, and they were crooked and ugly looking.

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 7

Uau! pieceacake830 and Jamie... what great tips you guys gave!

Thank you so much for sharing. I was trying to come up with something like that. Duh.

You guys rock!!!!!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%