How Do You Clean It All Up???

Decorating By Skyebaby Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 2:13am by queenie1958

Skyebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skyebaby Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 37

So far I've been smooshing out any icing from my tips and other tools, then "melting" it off with hot tap water. Then I let them sit in a bowl of super hot soapy water. Then I go back again and rinse and let them sit again in h/s water, swishing them about. Then I pretty much can just rinse them while I feel around for any reamining greasy stuff. Yeah, that's a lot of steps, but right now it's the only way that seems to thoughrouly get everything clean.

I have tip brushes but that doesn't help my spatulas, my mixing bowls, spoons, measuring cups, whathaveyou..........

36 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 37

Hi, I use a tip cleaner to clean my tips with hot/soapy water. Since I don't have dish washer, I use a sponge and hot soapy water to clean my other stuff. icon_smile.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 37

Do you mean how do you clean tips or everything?

I absolutely can NOT decorate a cake with a messy house LOL yes, I am OCD. I get the house in order and make sure my kitchen is spotless (which is funny since I'm about to make a mess)

I clean as I go. Put things in the dishwasher that I won't need again. After each step in the cake process, I sweep the floor, wash off tables and spatulas, gear up for the next step.

At the end, everything that can go in the dishwasher goes in and I hand wash everything else.

For the tips, after they come out of the dishwasher, I go back with my tip brush and let them air dry on a towel.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 37

EVERYTHING goes in the dishwasher except my KA bowl, paddle, and cake pans. I have those little baskets that are for baby bottle nipples and things like that. I have one that is small enough and perfect for tips and couplers. I rinse with my sprayer first, but I don't spend too much time, then I pop them in the basket and they come out great.

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 37

LOL niccicola -- I also have to get my house SPOTLESS before I make a cake! Not even just my kitchen, the WHOLE house. Seeing clutter or a mess around me just stresses me out if I'm caking. I clean much like you -- as I go along. I can't stand feeling like the kitchen is covered in powdered sugar and shortening, so I sweep and wipe things down between each phase. I save all my pain in the arse tools for last and clean with hot soapy water, using a tip brush for tips and letting them air-dry on a paper towel. Clean up is never fun but when it's done and the kitchen is spotless again, I light some candles and enjoy the biggest feeling of accomplishment!! icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

niccicola Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 37

No Doubt!!! I feel soooo exhausted when I'm done but like I really got something done that day!!

I've worked in restaurants most of my life and it was always a rule "CLEAN AS YOU GO" so it sort of stuck with me.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 37

Well...... after the powdered sugar BOMB goes off..... I put as much as possible in the dishwasher icon_smile.gif I have a little basket that I put my tips in and they go in the dishwasher as well.

I like easy icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 37

As far as your soap goes, I use Dawn because it is the best degreaser. I am also a veterinary technician and the recipe to get rid of skunk smell uses Dawn and ONLY Dawn to break down the grease.

HTH.
Melissa

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 37

I boil my tips then put them in the diswasher after a project has been completed.

I have spray bottle with a colox/water solution to spray and wash everthing down before putting the equipment away.

Everything else goes in the dishwasher. Except for my turntable, which I hand wash.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 37

I soak tips in hot water but for the rest i clean as i go along,i can't stand a sticky floor so if a piece of fondant or something drops on the floor,i have to clean it immediately.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 37

icon_confused.gif Oh the clean up, *heavy sigh*...wants to talk about "that" icon_cry.gif well Just before Im about to finish, Ive boiled a small pot of water, turn burner off. And I put it in 2 different bowls...1/2 and 1/2, The I squeeze out the last remaining icing in the bag...do what I will with it.

I disassemble the tips, get a tooth pick and take that chunck of icing out of it...and then I throw in the tips and plastics into one bowl and let it sit. every once in awhile I switch the water around so it moves through the tips. I get the bag turn inside out, and scrape it with the spatula and throw into the other water bowl and let sit...when Im done putting the cake away.

I go back again, and with hot water wash everything by hand.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgauta

LOL niccicola -- I also have to get my house SPOTLESS before I make a cake! Not even just my kitchen, the WHOLE house. Seeing clutter or a mess around me just stresses me out if I'm caking.

Too funny! I also clean everything before I start - although once I'm in "the zone" I pretty much tornado cook - dirty stuff on one side, prep and clean stuff on the other side! As for dishes, if DH is around, he is the most WONDERFUL dishwasher ever for all the non-machinable dishwasher stuff. I am very lucky!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif (But he does get paid in bowl & cake scraps, so he doesn't really complain a whole lot! lol!)

I, too, use Dawn. Best degreaser! And a tip brush...still looking for a basket with small enough holes to put them in the dishwasher...any ideas??? I have the baby bottle one from Target (Munchkin) but seems that the holes would let the tips slip through... icon_cry.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 37

For my tips after a soak in soapy water I take a tooth pick and a paper towel and clean out the inside, back in the soapy water *swish swish* Rinse out with hot water, dry and put away

djs328 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Well...... after the powdered sugar BOMB goes off.....

Ah yes....my favorite part! lol!! One day maybe I'll invent something to suck up all that big puff that you get so it doesn't get in every nook and cranny of EVERYTHING!!! *sigh* ...until then, I'll remain not rich and cleaning all things snowed on..... icon_rolleyes.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 37

I have a awesome husband that cleans up (most of the time) the kitchen when I'm done with a cake. He is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:50pm
post #16 of 37

djs328, my diswasher came with a little basket, maybe you can go online to kitchenaid or an appliance store and look for one they must sell accessories or replacement parts.

djs328 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

djs328, my diswasher came with a little basket, maybe you can go online to kitchenaid or an appliance store and look for one they must sell accessories or replacement parts.

Thanks - great idea...will check it out! icon_smile.gif DH will be happy to not use that little brush! icon_smile.gif

lainvest64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainvest64 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #18 of 37

I am new to all of this, but my water gets really hot. I rinse my dishes first, then I wash them as I go. For my tips, I get as much icing as possible out them and then I place them in a small plastic jar with an opening large enough to easily get the tips back out, half full of hot water and soap. Each time I add a tip, I shake the jar up to help "rinse" the icing off the tips. Then, after I am finished with everything, I shake the jar good, empty the old water out, add new soap and hot water, shake again, empty all of it out and I wash by hand and rinse well. It also helps to put the tips in a funnel so that you do not have to hold them under the hot water.

Skyebaby Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

I absolutely can NOT decorate a cake with a messy house LOL yes, I am OCD. I get the house in order and make sure my kitchen is spotless (which is funny since I'm about to make a mess)

I clean as I go. Put things in the dishwasher that I won't need again. After each step in the cake process, I sweep the floor, wash off tables and spatulas, gear up for the next step.

At the end, everything that can go in the dishwasher goes in and I hand wash everything else.

For the tips, after they come out of the dishwasher, I go back with my tip brush and let them air dry on a towel.

OMG are you my twin???? I can NOT create until that kitchen is spotless either. It seriously disables me when the place looks like crap. I honest to god thought I was the only one with this issue. ha!!

I don't wash my cake stuff by dishwasher because we don't run it often enough (maaaybe twice a week?) and I want all of the things washed and ready to go when I want them. But I also never put my pots and pans in the d/w either because I simply enjoy washing and drying them by hand. (I'm seriously weird).

Skyebaby Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Well...... after the powdered sugar BOMB goes off.....

Ah yes....my favorite part! lol!! One day maybe I'll invent something to suck up all that big puff that you get so it doesn't get in every nook and cranny of EVERYTHING!!! *sigh* ...until then, I'll remain not rich and cleaning all things snowed on..... icon_rolleyes.gif

For the Bomb effect I put a slightly damp large dish towel over the mixing bowl and nothing comes out anymore. The dampness of the large towel gives the towel weight and it stays right on the bowl. Oh yeah......I got sprayed in the eyes the first time with p/s because I had no idea that would happen.......lol.

Skyebaby Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainvest64

I am new to all of this, but my water gets really hot. I rinse my dishes first, then I wash them as I go. For my tips, I get as much icing as possible out them and then I place them in a small plastic jar with an opening large enough to easily get the tips back out, half full of hot water and soap. Each time I add a tip, I shake the jar up to help "rinse" the icing off the tips. Then, after I am finished with everything, I shake the jar good, empty the old water out, add new soap and hot water, shake again, empty all of it out and I wash by hand and rinse well. It also helps to put the tips in a funnel so that you do not have to hold them under the hot water.

Sounds like you and I have a very similar "system" icon_smile.gif I think from now on I will heat up a pint glass of water in the microwave and use that after I've removed the visible chunks. *That* should melt away the excess pretty well. Then I'll do a regularl-hot glass of water and Dawn and go from there.

Oh, I also want to add that I make sure the sink is empty except for cake stuff so that nothing else gets shortnening/butter all over it. My baby is 10.5mos so I wouldnt' want her bottles and bottle parts to get that crap on them !

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #22 of 37

I start by cleaning my house...dusting, vacuuming and then mopping everything. Then I clean my counters very well and start. I leave a sink full of hot water and soap and when I don't need a dish anymore I rinse it first in hot water and then rinse and let it dry. I clean my counters as I go as well, I hate to see the mess...makes my stomach go into knots! Then at the end I vacuum again and mop and clean my counters with soapy water and then put swiffer dust and shine spary on my cabinets to make sure I take off the powder sugar that might have gotten on them. Then after all that I sit down and have some cake scraps..lol!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #23 of 37

First clean as you go.. then diswasher dishwasher. my husband laughs and says if my dishwasher would break down he thinks i would have the big one. haha

The first issue of foodnetwork mag. has a article about Bobby Flay he says his kitchen has two dishwashers my kind of man hahahaha.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #24 of 37

Whenever I do a cake, since I love doing cakes, I think of the money I get for cakes as a fee to clean up the kitchen. When you're paid $150 to clean your kitchen it doesn't seem such a chore

niccicola Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

OMG are you my twin???? I can NOT create until that kitchen is spotless either. It seriously disables me when the place looks like crap. I honest to god thought I was the only one with this issue. ha!!

I don't wash my cake stuff by dishwasher because we don't run it often enough (maaaybe twice a week?) and I want all of the things washed and ready to go when I want them. But I also never put my pots and pans in the d/w either because I simply enjoy washing and drying them by hand. (I'm seriously weird).

I don't know what it is, but if know there is a pile of dirty clothes on the other side of the house, I sense it, and I don't feel like I can concentrate if there is something that needs to be done.

It's all part of getting into the zone. I need to clear my head of that darned TO DO list

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #26 of 37

Like nickshalfpint, I have an incredible husband who is my power cleaner. As I'm working, I clean as I go (including running a swiffer wet mop between each step of the process,) but he does the final "get the kitchen back in order" for me which is perfect timing because I've usually hit the wall by then. icon_biggrin.gif

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:03am
post #27 of 37

Tips and couplers go into a deep cup/bowl totally covering everything with water add a splish of Dawn and into the microwave for one minute. Let it cool, wash out with tip cleaner or baby bottle brush, rinse then I put them in another bowl of vinegar and water (really cuts any leftover "greasy feel" rinse with hot water again and set on towel to air dry. I check 'em all to make sure I didn't miss anything. They actually come out of the microwave practically spotless anyways. This was a tip from my Wilton instructor. Just make sure you completely cover everything in the cup/bowl with water and don't add too much dawn. And only do one minute on high...

I wish I had a hubby who helped clean up...he HATES when I make cakes, especially bc. icon_rolleyes.gif The towel over the mixer works great to cut the powdered sugar explosion. My dishwasher is soon to be replaced and I am definately looking for one with the little box thingy.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:44am
post #28 of 37

My daughter can usually be bribed to do it icon_biggrin.gif

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:23am
post #29 of 37

Skyebaby, I basically do what you do. it sucks doesn't it? thumbsdown.gif And idjitmom, you're lucky lol. *sigh* don't you guys wish you could just magically have all the stuff cleaned without doing anything? I sure do lol.

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:48am
post #30 of 37

I put my tips in a small tupperware bowl with soap and hot (hot!)
water and give it a shake (shake shake shake). Let them sit, change the water and do it again. Of course I still wipe inside them with the corner of a paper towel, but there's just no easy way of cleaning the little buggers. As for everything else? Clean before, during and after. It's the only way I keep my sanity icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%