2Nd Episode Last Cake Standing...spoiler Alert

Decorating By adven68 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 10:06am by Rylan

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 47

Don't continue reading if you don't want to know the ending...
I was going to name this topic "bye bye Elisa", but I knew I woudl get hung by the tivo people. icon_biggrin.gif

I enjoyed watching it this week. I love Elisa's work, but, aside from the height requirement blunder, her gorgeous cake wasn't what the couple really wanted. too bad.

I think the right person won.

46 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 47

Yeah jumping out too soon really cost her, too bad I LOVE Elisa! She reminds me of the actress that plays Jackie on That 70's Show...Their mannerisms and voice are almost identical! Crazy I know...But Elisa makes me smile. I took a class from her at the Austin Cake Show, she was wonderful!

And yes, Courtney should have won! Congrats Courtney if you are reading this! Excellent job!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 47

I think Elisa is really sweet. Courtney in the other hand is down to earth.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 47

Yeah I was a little disappointed that Elisa didn't make it had she stayed a little bit longer could have made all the difference in the world.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 47

really? I thought Bronwen got her title stolen again, like last week, and like the Simpsons movie cake challenge, but oh well, just my opinion, I think that's why she was crying at the end, I would've felt frustrated too.

cakesdivine Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

really? I thought Bronwen got her title stolen again, like last week, and like the Simpsons movie cake challenge, but oh well, just my opinion, I think that's why she was crying at the end, I would've felt frustrated too.

You're kidding right? She didn't finish her cake, she even admitted that she shouldn't have won due to that issue she was in the bottom two, she could have gone home for not finishing, but I am glad she is still in it all. But my fave girls are Mary Maher and her sister. And on the Simpson's cake challenge, I didn't agree with the statement made about Bronwen's cake not depicting the movie, which IT DID, it looked like the posters for the movie, but I still believe that Mary was the rightful winner.

What I would have loved to see would have been Duff and Marina Soussa also in this competition! Now that would have been AWESOME! thumbs_up.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 47

what is this? A cake show? Where can I watch it, you tube, hulu?

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 47

I was sad to see Elisa go, her cake really was gorgeous, just not what the couple wanted. It really was a gamble, cause in the end Bronwen didnt have enough time to finish the topper and would have had more time if she hadnt spent so much in the limo with the couple. And to add I did actually like Mary's cake, a lot of people didnt, but it was just not the cake for them.

Thats why I am starting to hate challenges. I love the cake decorating part. Not the drama, not the ridiculous hoops that the producers make the contestants jump through, and not the vendettas that are sprouting up pitting decorators against one another. I WANT TO SEE THEM DECORATE CAKES!!! Not slam one anothers work, not be made to feel <-> this tall when they arent able to finish under the ridiculous trials that are set before them....

But I digress, I still like watching them. Annnd I am so proud of Courtney! Courtney if you are out there Congradulations to you! The cake was beautiful and you should be proud!

cakesdivine Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:44am
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiCakeCook

what is this? A cake show? Where can I watch it, you tube, hulu?

Food network show. It is under Challenge title. Last Cake Standing.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #10 of 47

i missed it last night because of the holiday. Can anyone recap?

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

You're kidding right? She didn't finish her cake, she even admitted that she shouldn't have won due to that issue she was in the bottom two, she could have gone home for not finishing, but I am glad she is still in it all. But my fave girls are Mary Maher and her sister. And on the Simpson's cake challenge, I didn't agree with the statement made about Bronwen's cake not depicting the movie, which IT DID, it looked like the posters for the movie, but I still believe that Mary was the rightful winner.

What I would have loved to see would have been Duff and Marina Soussa also in this competition! Now that would have been AWESOME! thumbs_up.gif

You HAVE to give KUDOS to James; He completely left his comfort zone with his Isreal inspired gumpaste flowers and what he designed was stunning albiet the golf ball was way to big and the cake started to tilt....but he had to show himself in that cake and add an orchid or two...lol he showed considerable restraint..lmao; very pretty- Job well done James and I'll take your flowers anyday James your flowers rock (who knows he might be reading...lol)

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #12 of 47

I was really bummed to see Elisa go...she's one of my cake heroes. But her cake really was the essence of everything the couple DIDN'T want, so it was coming to her. icon_sad.gif I did think it was hilarious when James had his comfort zone given back a bit when the couple came to visit the studio though. I think I felt his sigh of relief all the way in my living room! LOL

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:01am
post #13 of 47

Do they repeat this during the week? I wanted to remember to watch it Sunday, but being Easter and family etc...of course I was too tired to think let alone rememebr. Darn Darn Darn

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #14 of 47

ooh its on again Wednesday at 7 eastern time

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #15 of 47

I just finished watching it too! I love the show, but I agree, let's see more decorating and less drama. It doesn't seem fair when these decorators are so talented, it seems like time wasted to jump through these hoops so to speak.

Courtney- your cake was awesome and you so deserved t win. Elisa is a class act and I love and admire her work.

Melissa

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #16 of 47

I think the reason they are making them jump threw hoops is to get them shook up and out of their comfort zones and see how they can react to it.
What I dont understand is why they keep showing Browen bashing and making comments about Mary so much. Their making it look like its all one sided and like they have a grudge against each other or something?! Are they truely enemies or is it just more edited for tv drama crap?
The other thing that shocked me was the way the couple said that they loved Browens cake and it depicked them to a tee and said that Courtney's lacked personal touches and basically all they liked about it was that it was modern. So when they said it was Courtney, both her and I at the same time said "WHAT???" Even Courtney didnt think it. Not saying that her cake didnt rock, cause it did!
I did feel bad for Elisa though. It seemed such a minor thing for her to be in the bottom two over. She is such a sweet person but she took it like a trooper. I dont think I could of handled all the running around either. That must of been exhausting!
But Im hooked! I cant wait to see the next one! Did anyone wonder why they show Jennifer Matsubara on the commercial? Is there another challenge coming up like this or something? I tell yah, Im hooked on these cake shows!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #17 of 47

Elisa's cake was just gorgeous. I'd have died to have that at my wedding! I also liked Mary's cake. It was sooooo pretty and vintage. I'm still not sure how she hinged those silhoutted shapes onto the egg cakes. They are all such amazing decorators. I too felt so bad for Bronwen and her pathetic little wire C. I wish she'd have had more time to come up with something amazing for the top, but her cake was very cool.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:30am
post #18 of 47

I thought Courtney was wonderful. It amazes me how someone so young has accomplished so much.
Poor Elisa-I love her, but she did one of her gallery cakes, practically straight from her website. I wonder if she has a hard time thinking on the spur of the moment.
I was hoping Bronwen would get kicked off instead, but that is most likely how i feel about her personally. She has been coming off as petty on this series and it makes me like her less. And her cake was so-so.
James (I think) also made a beautiful cake.
And I love the Cake Girls. But it was a little old lady, even if it was beautiful.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:41am
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

...Thats why I am starting to hate challenges. I love the cake decorating part. Not the drama, not the ridiculous hoops that the producers make the contestants jump through, and not the vendettas that are sprouting up pitting decorators against one another. I WANT TO SEE THEM DECORATE CAKES!!! Not slam one anothers work, not be made to feel <-> this tall when they arent able to finish under the ridiculous trials that are set before them....

Yes. I mean figure out how many brain cells we use to produce one teensy weency custom cake. Then add that into all the extra drama and tv-ness.

Knowing what we go through to birth a cake then this stuff borders on cruel to me. I could not operate under those circumstances to do creative custom work at competition level. Bronwen is literally burning out before our very eyes. It's heart wrenching.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:54am
post #20 of 47

How old is Courtney? I love this show as far as the cake creating goes. I'm not so crazy about the staged drama amongst the decorators.

Tortess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tortess Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:09am
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

I was hoping Bronwen would get kicked off instead, but that is most likely how i feel about her personally. She has been coming off as petty on this series and it makes me like her less. And her cake was so-so.

I have to agree. Brownwen came across really snarky. And even tho she incorporated more of their personal stuff, I didn't think it was very pretty. She went way too literal in the stuff.

That being said, it was much better than I would have done.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:45am
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Do they repeat this during the week? I wanted to remember to watch it Sunday, but being Easter and family etc...of course I was too tired to think let alone rememebr. Darn Darn Darn

Here you go:

Apr 15, 2009 7:00 PM ET/PT
Apr 18, 2009 2:00 PM ET/PT
Apr 19, 2009 7:00 PM ET/PT

Think Courtney did a great job but I think if Bronwen had finished she might have won (I actually liked her sketch - I thought it was totally what the couple were after). Gotta love Mary though, how she changed the colour of the silhouettes from blue to black because she say everyone had some black in there cake (very sneaky). Oh, and did anyone else think that the eggs on her cake (when it was being moved) sort of looked like eyeballs?? Liked James cake the best (too bad it was tilting) and Elisa cake was gorgeous just not what they were looking for.

And thanks to whomever it was that Elisa reminded them of Jackie from That 70's show. I've been racking my brain about who she reminded me of and couldn't figure it out. Also does Michelle sort of remind them of Vala from Stargate (looks wise???).

Edited to add:

Did you guys see who's got paired off with whom for the next eposide?
Looks like it's:

Bronwen/James
Mary/Courtney

I've assumed from the beginning that Bronwen and Mary are going to be in it from the end just by the clips they showed right at the beginning so any bets as to who the 3rd person will be or any guess as to who all 3 will be?

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #23 of 47

I just want to say that IMO Mary and Bronwen have always been shown to have a rivalry between the two of them. I think that they both play it up. I think that Bronwen does it a little more because of the last few losses to Mary. I have never gotten the impression that it was particularly snarky. Many moons ago right before the Mystery Cake Challenge Colette Peters asked Mike McCreary if he was ready to lose. I can't remember what she said exactly but it was a fairly strong comment that was just laughed off. I think she even told him I told you so when she won. The food network could have really played that rivalry up more and made Colette sound like a horrible woman. Cat fighting wasn't so en vogue at the time.
I felt so horrible for Bronwen. She was happy with her cake until she realized that she was under the height requirement. She tried to fix it and made it worse. I can TOTALLY relate to that. That much stress at the very end of the competition would have pushed me over the edge.

I do want to say that I was so proud of James for really going outside his comfort zone. He looked so distressed putting black fondant on a wedding cake. He pulled it off in the end though.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:57pm
post #24 of 47

Can someone tell me how Elisa did the borders on her tiers? They looked like little, evenly spaced rectangular beads. I'd love to try that!!!!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #25 of 47

I'm really enjoying this show. Michelle Bommarito and Elisa are both extremely talented, but I felt like the right two went in rounds 1 & 2. Michelle's cake that was the story of her life...well, I guess I'm like the judges. I didn't get that black fondant cake. Elisa's cake was beautiful, but it didn't tell the story of the couple. I've seen that design before.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:35pm
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortess

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

I have to agree. Brownwen came across really snarky. And even tho she incorporated more of their personal stuff, I didn't think it was very pretty. She went way too literal in the stuff.

That being said, it was much better than I would have done.

I'm not seing Bronwen as snarky because I know her--I mean from a day long kick a$$ class I took and she was my kid's instructor in culinary school. She is so positve and in control in a good way--she's a very for real person when it comes to caking.

So watch the juxtaposing of the different comments. Some are these are just sentences pulled out of the context of the original conversation and placed next to each other for drama--(where's our lama?) I try & think of what question was asked to get that response from the competitor.

Like maybe they say to Bronwen, "What if Mary wins--she's never lost a competition and you have lost several"--so Bronwen responds blablabla and all we see is Bronwen sounding puffy ---or whatever -- They say, "Bronwen what would you do with $50,00??"

Watch out for that stuff--it's teevee. And all these cakers are incredible and it's man against man, man against the time clock, man against nature, man against the tools, ingredients and equipment they brought, man against the editing room, man against the producers, man against the sound bite yada yada yada. kwim

Man against the temperature in the freaking room--remember Courtney's trying to arm wrestle that freaking cold fondant???!!! You'd never get that if they hadn't let her say it on the final cut.

Fellow cakers (even if they need to be forgiven for being on tv icon_biggrin.gif ) are our friends and I support them and critique the network like a hunted vicious animal. FN is over my line with this one.

Blab much, Kate?

Why yes thank you think I will. icon_lol.gif

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #27 of 47

I am still excited to watch this show each week, but I agree..the challenges are ridiculous and have nothing to do with cake decorating. I think the end result is really just that we see less quality work from amazing cake decorators.

The regular challenges were exciting enough, and the contestants come with a plan, and you really see the incredible cakes they can achieve.

Whats the the point in having a show that sets them up to do work of lesser quality than they are capapble of??

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #28 of 47

I really just love Mary and her sister. I hope they win. I thought Bronwen's cake was interesting and was custom for the client..but I thought..pink & blue looks like a baby shower cake.

I agree the eggs in Mary's cake was her idea....and it was a gorgeous cake..but didn't relate back to the client except the silhouette.

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm
post #29 of 47

hi ladies (n-gents) icon_wink.gif

I love this show too! I was so sad to see Elisa go too! She's a sweetie and created a beautiful cake and is so classy in her reaction.. Very lovely...

I was surprised at Bronwen's approach to fix her cake topper...

Courtney's cake was amazing! James too, just the right amount of flowers icon_wink.gif

Mary's was really nice even if they thought it was "grandma"-ish I liked it... maybe I'm old fashioned.

that being said... is it safe to admit here that I'll be fulfilling my externship requirement for school with Elisa? I start Monday and am THRILLED beyond belief!!! =D WOOHOO!

I'm so thankful with the upcoming changes in my career I'm on cloud 9 and it's made up of fluffy buttercream =9 LOL

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomikjen

that being said... is it safe to admit here that I'll be fulfilling my externship requirement for school with Elisa? I start Monday and am THRILLED beyond belief!!! =D WOOHOO!

Congratufrickenlations!!!!

signed,
Equally
a) pea green with envy
and
b) so very very happy for you!!!!!!

Lemme know if you need someone to take notes for you!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%