Serving Size For 40

Decorating By Tug Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 3:00am by indydebi

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 4

Hey there. I've looked at the Wilton and Earlene's serving size chart. They all show a 2 layer serviung size.

I was wondering if a 3 layer 9 inch cake will serve 40 people? I have a baby shower cake to do and don't have a 10 inch round pan.

Thanks in advance.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 4

I would be hesitant about it. The wilton wedding chart shows a 9" 2-layer serves 32. A 3-layer will STILL serve 32 except the pieces will be taller. Same surface area .... you won't get more pieces, just more cake in the same number of pieces..

What about a two-layer 9" and a one-layer 9" on the side "just in case"? You could tort the single layer, so it has a filling also.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 4

hmmmm. Good point Indydebi. I didn't take into consideration the slices would just be taller, but same size cuts. Although I would like to do one 2-layer and one single layer on the side, I don't think she'd go for it. She wants a cake with a big fondant bow on top.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 4

Another option is to make a 2-layer 9", then dowel it and put a single layer on a cardboard on top of the 2-layer, then ice the whole thing. When you go to serve it, pull the single layer off as a separate cake .... now you have 2 cakes (a 2-layer and a single layer) to cut and serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%