My Easter Cake

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm by sweetjan

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

This cake was a bunch of firsts. First time using Satin Ice (YUM), first time making a doctored mix, first time making gumpaste flowers, and first time using drop strings, and first time making a three tiered cake.

This has to be driven three hours tomorrow morning after church - and I'll be praying the whole way. And, thanks to my CC friends, I knew to dowel it with a center dowel through all the tiers!

I'm not 100% happy, since the fondant isn't smooth enough, but for so many firsts in one cake, I think it's pretty good.

So, what can I do better, other than smoothing the fondant better? I'll be making a similar cake for a bridal shower for friends this year, so this is my practice cake, and my chance to learn lots of great tips from CC icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1345580&done=1

Thanks!

4 replies
Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:58am
post #2 of 5

Hi Sugar icon_smile.gif

Go to your "My Forum Info" and allow members to make comments on your photos and you'll get more feedback. I love the colors you used and your drop strings look great!

Chippi icon_smile.gif

kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 5

Super great looking cake - even w/the few flaws (that only a cake decorator will notice and only because you mentioned them!)
Do*NOT* point out to *anyone* the flaws - as I said, they will not be noticedicon_smile.gif
My concern is that this cake is going to be top heavy and give you problems on your 3 hr drive icon_sad.gif Please drive like a 'little old lady' - extra careful - especially around corners/truns.
Bet you won't get these replies until after the fact as it is already Easter Sunday a.m. icon_sad.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 5

HI!

Thanks for the great support! I held the cake for the drive, in my lap, in a big cardboard box. My BF drove, and yes, I was telling him to watch out for every single pothole, frost heave, bump, curb, etc. We got here and had only had three flowers fall off, with no breakage. So, overall, a success.

I've changed my status to allow for comments.

Happy Easter!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 5

wow, for a lot of 'firsts', you're doing really well. I'm most impressed with the drop string....great job! Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%