Half-Sheet Cake Question

Decorating By lchris Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm by JanH

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 2

I'm asking just to be sure. I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but for the life of me, when I search, I get everything but what I'm looking for. icon_cool.gif

Anyway, my question is, making a half-sheet cake, 2 layers. Using the WASC recipe, is that a total of 4 boxes?

And just exactly how many will it serve? I'm just not understanding all the serving charts out there.

So sorry for the dumb question. You guys are the best resource anywhere!! icon_smile.gif

Laurie

1 reply
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 2

Not all the members agree to what size a 1/2 sheet cake is, so cake civilians (as Indydebi would say) probably can't agree either.

The easiest way to guarantee that you and your customer are on the same page is ASK how many servings they need... and be sure to advise that a party serving is 1-1/2x2x4" or 3x2x2".

By advising what the serving size is, the customer can decide to order more servings in order to serve bigger portions (if that is their choice). But this way you totally eliminate the "there wasn't enough cake" because they WANT to serve huge portions but only pay Wal-Mart sheet cake prices.

Sheets cakes can either be layered (like all the other cakes on the Wilton cake preparation site or single layer). Usually the layered sheet cakes are filled, but it's possible to torte and fill a single layer, although the Wal-Mart sheet cakes aren't but the Costco sheet cakes are.

Be sure to ask if the customer wants a filling (either layered or single that is torted) so that you can charge appropriately.

All in all, the only way to satisfy the customer is to ask what they want in detail. If price becomes an issue, they can be directed to one of the big box bakeries where they can purchase a slab of cake for cheap... But who wouldn't want a homemade, custom decorated cake that is created and tailored to their specifications! Just don't sell yourself short.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%