Cake Boss, Would It Be Worth It?

Business By amberlee416 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm by ccr03

amberlee416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlee416 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 19

I am just starting and will be getting licensed from my home, but i'm not sure if it would be worth it to get it now, or wait until i start getting more orders, what do you all think??

18 replies
jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 19

I definitely think if you have the money for it now that's it worth getting. You will want the time to get all of your costs entered in. Like the software advertises it will help you to determine how much you should be charging for the cakes. I always think it's a good idea to get everything as organized as soon as possible before the craziness of your business picks up!

Wish I was able to do it. I just don't have the extra cash.

Also, you get a 10% off discount for being a CC member.

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 19

Oh and I have actually used the product, when it was in it's testing phase. And from what I see now it has gotten even more awesome!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 19

Not just yes but, HE11 YES! It is the best! I love it.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #5 of 19

I agree with cakesdivine "HEll YES"
I loves my 'Cake Boss'

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks for starting this post, I was just abut to ask the same question. I think I'm going to have to go for it too. I haven't started my business officially yet, but with my family and friends trying to cheap or free carved cakes from me, I think it might be nice to reference what the cake should actually cost them so they appreciate me more!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 19

I got it but I don't use it cause I haven't figure it out yet, I know my way into computers but I have to sit down and figure out a lot stuff before it starts working properly, like for example if they order a wedding cake, and the videos show something like this:

"just input 8", 10", 12" and it will tell you what to charge, BUT first, you have to fugure it out (for yourself) how many recipes you would need for each cake, how many recipes of icing, filling, etc. and i haven't had time to do it, besides how should I measure a cake that I haven't made yet, I left a message in their boards but found that it did not help the way they answered my question, so that's why I dont use it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #8 of 19

I have it, but I was so used to the way I WAS doing things that it was too hard to get used to using the program. Plus at least before, there were some things in the program that did not really allow me to price my cakes out like I was used to pricing them out....so I went back to my old method. I do occasionally update it though, and I am sure I will go back and try it again sometime after they continue to improve the program.

I can tell its a great program, just so far hasn't worked as well for me as the "primitive" way I do things. haha.

amberlee416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlee416 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 19

I am having a lot of problems trying to price things so i was thinking that this may be able to help me, and i have a habit of being an unorganized type of person, so i thought it might help keep everything in order.

smartsexystylish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smartsexystylish Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:44am
post #10 of 19

Is there a 30 day trial available?

I would love to do a trial before I can commit 100% (Or is satisfaction guaranteed or a money back sorta thing offered?)

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:39am
post #11 of 19

I've been trying to decided if I shoudl go with Cake Boss or Quickbooks. Any opinions on what the better program is?

smartsexystylish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smartsexystylish Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I've been trying to decided if I shoudl go with or Quickbooks. Any opinions on what the better program is?

I am also looking for an answer to this question too icon_smile.gif

(Would love to get cakeboss but I think it's just WAYYY to expensive for me at the moment. Too bad there isn't a monthly installment option available until it's paid off...)

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 19

If you're not using your copy... would you consider selling it to me? icon_wink.gif

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 19

I found it to be confusing. I bought it and then got a refund. It works for some people. I had a really hard time pricing as well and thought cakeboss would help but it made it more frustrating. I have price per slice and just went with what other bakers in the area charge.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #15 of 19

I just bought this last night and i'm hoping that it's as good as lots of ppl here have said.
I'll let ya know soon.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 19

I bought Cake Boss when I became licensed from my home last fall. At first I was frustrated with it because it didn't seem to work for custom cakes with a per serving cost. However, after repeated emails with Kelley and finally sending her a screen shot of an order, she showed me how to put in an order the way I need it. It was not intuitive to me and I guess not to others either based on some comments here. But now that I know what I am doing, I love it and highly recommend it. icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:37am
post #17 of 19

I guess the more computer literate you are the more you will use and love it. Ever since the fixed price option was added, this program does exactly everything I need and want it to. Quickbooks can't do what Cake Boss does. And CB is not an accounting program other than to track what has been charged for each order, what has been paid, and what is still due if any. I use both together and it is wonderful!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #18 of 19

I have had CakeBoss for about a week or two. It is the most awesome-est program EVER. If you are still debating on whether or not this would be worth it, let me give you an example.

Monday, I got a call at about 2-ish for a 2-D pony cake for 10. They wanted the cake the next day (it would need to leave my house at 7 AM) Since it was for a friend of my sister's I agreed. Why not, it's not like I had anything else to do.
My normal pricing is $2.50/ serving for BC cakes. So I charged this lady $35.00. After the cake was done, I entered the order information into CakeBoss.

I SOOOOOOOO regret selling that cake for $35.00. Based on my time and ingredients, that cake SHOULD have been $52.39. And if I had added at least a $10.00 rush fee- $62.39. So, because I didn't go to my CakeBoss FIRST, I lost out on $27.39.

BUY the CakeBoss software. It is SOOOOO worth it!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #19 of 19

I use MS Accounting Express 2008. It was COMPLETELY FREE! And for the level I'm at, it works. It keeps a databases of all my customers and their financial (aka order) history, I can do the banking, create various types of reports, email quotes/invoices - and more stuff that I haven't yet discovered. As for the pricing, I did have to figured that out on my own. to figure out pricing I used the price matrix here. The prices aren't fixed so I can adjust it need be or put a discount and it'll automatically do.

I really like it. I just need to get in the serious habit of using it BEFORE I quote a price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%