Smooth Textured Buttercream

Decorating By tirechic Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm by briansbaker

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 4

I was wanting to know how to get a smoother textured buttercream? I have seen some examples here that are shiny, and smooth. I have a reg recipe, and at first it looks great, then after a while is gets dull, is that from the meringue powder. I have heard ppl talk about heat. Am i just overmixing, i dont have a ka, so i have to use a hand mixer. Please help, i have a new "client" that wants the really smooth buttercream. Thank you.

3 replies
sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 4

Have you tried the Viva paper towel method? place the square of towel over the crusted BC and smooth with a fondant smoother, pressing to get the smoothness you need. I also spray mine lately with pearl spray after it's done -comes in an aerosol can. Makes mine look shinier, even though I don't use a crusting BC. The dullness is just from the crusting BC. You might want to try some new recipes -I hear Sugarshack's is great, though haven't tried it. You can tell by her bc cake pictures!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 4

IMBC or SMBC will give you a very smooth buttercream and won't loose it's satiny finish.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 4

HI!! Well.. Being that you have a hand mixer.. Becareful you dont burn it out making the buttercream!!
I dont use the one that calls for Meringue Powder
Here is an original recipe.

2 sticks of butter (fully room temp.)
1 cup of Shortening (white crisco)
4 cups of powdered sugar
about 2 to 5 teaspoons of water.. (depends on what you want)
1 teas. of vanilla (clear if you have it)

this is what I use ALL the time.. First, mix your butter and shortening together until it is light and fluffy.. (very fluffy)... add vanilla.. then slowly add your sugar , being you have a hand mixer..best if you add half a cup at a time and before you start your mixer, use a spoon to incorporate you sugar.. continue this until all you sugar is used.. :
if you think it's to thick add water 1 teas. at a time.. that is what I do..

Once you have your cake iced, wait about 2 mins. then use a viva paper towel lay it on your cake and smooth it out.. it will leave a smooth look.. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%