Why Hasn't Anyone Invented This?!?!

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 11:57am by bakery_chick

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #31 of 56

I'm loving this heated spatula idea! May I add a suggestion? Put a level indicator in the handle. Perfect, straight sides, and level tops every time!

Oh, and add me to the market testers! thumbs_up.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #32 of 56

speaking of a heated spatula... has anyone every used a heating pad to keep your spatulas on? it just occurred to me that it might work.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:07pm
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

I'm loving this heated spatula idea! May I add a suggestion? Put a level indicator in the handle. Perfect, straight sides, and level tops every time!

and the ideas just get better and better!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #34 of 56

Okay, I totally know how to invent the heated spatula.

Go to Michaels and buy a hot knife. They are in the craft wood section. Unscrew the end and remove the x-acto blade that comes on it (it unscrews so you can replace the blade).

Take your favorite spatula and saw the handle off of the blade. Using a grinder, file down the now handle-less end of the spatula into a narrow point, the same size as the insertable end of the x-acto blade you removed. Insert into hot knife, plug in, and turn on. VOILA!! You now have a heated spatula!

The only problem is that the hot knife heats to 1400 degrees F. Perhaps that is too warm for butter-based icings? LOL

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Okay, I totally know how to invent the heated spatula.

Go to Michaels and buy a hot knife. They are in the craft wood section. Unscrew the end and remove the x-acto blade that comes on it (it unscrews so you can replace the blade).

Take your favorite spatula and saw the handle off of the blade. Using a grinder, file down the now handle-less end of the spatula into a narrow point, the same size as the insertable end of the x-acto blade you removed. Insert into hot knife, plug in, and turn on. VOILA!! You now have a heated spatula!

The only problem is that the hot knife heats to 1400 degrees F. Perhaps that is too warm for butter-based icings? LOL

You so had me going Sherri! LOL! 1400 degrees!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #36 of 56

LOL! icon_lol.gif It would totally work if you needed the SPATULA FROM HELL!!!!!! (aka branding iron!)

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm
post #37 of 56

They make a styrofoam cutter, that has a long thin, blade actually it is more like a 10 gauge wire. I bet they could do something along those lines to get the nifty heated spatula we want.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #38 of 56
Quote:

That's a great idea too, love it.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #39 of 56

"You too can make super smooth iced cakes at home, JUST LIKE THE PROS!

How much would YOU pay for the Sensational Ronco Warming Super Smooth Icing Spatula?!?!?

Not $99.95, not $89.95, not even $79.95, but only 4 payments of $39.95!!!...plus shipping and handling

AND if you order in the next 10 minutes we'll throw in a monkey with a hypo-allergenic tongue to keep that spatula super clean between passes!!!

These will go fast so order NOW!"

That is so great! I wasn't interested...until you threw in the monkey. You know those things aren't legit unless they give you the good 'ol....but wait, order now and get...
now if you have Billy Maise sell it(the oxy clean guy), I will buy a hundred of them. That guy could sell me a cake make out of jellyfish and i would buy it. He's just that good.(and oxyclean is the best ever)

mbdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbdecorator Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:43pm
post #40 of 56

A heated spatula!!!!!!!!!!...........WHY hasn't wilton come up with that? :roll Although Viva wouldn't be very happy. My husband is on vacation this sounds like a project that could keep him in the garage for days

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

Yes I would like to be a tester of this wonderful product as well.

Here is my input on what I would like to see invented.

You know how they have the machine at Lowe's and Home Depot where you can bring them a swatch of any color and they can make the paint match that exactly. I want a machine like that that will color fondant for me or my BC. Heck I'd be happy if it would just color my fondant for me, forget the color match!

oh, something to do the coloring for me...that would be the best! and cake pans w/ lids that still bake just right - no more leveling cakes and worrying about the layers being all the same height!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #42 of 56

no better yet .what we need is the crazy person that came up with the dummy wedding cake.We need them to suggest that unsmooth icing is the in style and the thing to do.

the messier the better.. Don't worry some crazed bride would order it. hahahah

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenshan

OK...this is brilliant. You need to contact a lawyer and then Wilton or Kitchenaid.

Dang, and I already posted my million dollar idea on a public forum. DOH!!! I am sure you are all reputable and wouldn't still my idea, but the lurkers would icon_twisted.gif. Ah well, the good thing would be, at least it would get made! I have had this idea in my head for years. If I get a CAT scan could I prove that?? At least so that I could get a free one? LOL

Very interesting that similar products are already being made for the craft world...?!

Theresa: Hey, I wonder if it would work on my hips, too? icon_lol.gif Baaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa!

Anyway, I don't know, I think I'd prefer the fondant coloring machine if I had to choose. thumbs_up.gif

brynn5241 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brynn5241 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #44 of 56

I have to share my story! I came on here today with the intention of making a post "what would you like to see invented?" I'm currently enrolled in a community college and part of my curriculum to transfer to the university required a creativity class. Long story short my semester project is to invent an item (or atleast an idea that is not yet mainstream) to support an activity or hobby that I'm interested in that will benefit other people as well as myself. How ironic that this post was already here! Keep your ideas coming (and also your blessing that I attempt to create your idea). I in no way plan to "market" anything that I haven't come up with myself, just to get a good grade on my project. So thanks to whoever started this post thumbs_up.gif

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:36pm
post #45 of 56

As far as the fondant coloring would the bread hook on the kitchen aid work? I never tried it but seems like it would be the same sort of action needed to blend the color in.

ceshell Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntEm

As far as the fondant coloring would the bread hook on the kitchen aid work? I never tried it but seems like it would be the same sort of action needed to blend the color in.

Actually ShirleyW used to do that, at least to get a nice color blob going. Much easier to color a batch of fondant using colored fondant rather than trying to work in that messy food coloring.

I tried it but couldn't get it to work for me icon_sad.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:47pm
post #47 of 56

I love the idea of putting a level in the spatula handle! That would eliminate my need for the separate level that I have to use on my cakes.

xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntEm

Actually ShirleyW used to do that, at least to get a nice color blob going. Much easier to color a batch of fondant using colored fondant rather than trying to work in that messy food coloring.

I tried it but couldn't get it to work for me icon_sad.gif

I've only ever done that with homemade (MFF or even MMF (which I don't make anymore in preference to MFF) and added it with the liquids.
Can you do this with fondant that was already made?

ceshell Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:48am
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I've only ever done that with homemade (MFF or even MMF (which I don't make anymore in preference to MFF) and added it with the liquids. Can you do this with fondant that was already made?

Yep. Here's the thread --scroll down to Shirley's post http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-444283-.html

And here's one where Summernoelle did it in her KA food processor. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-317413-.html

So...it's already been invented! LOL

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:29am
post #50 of 56

Loving the heated spatula idea. I volunteer to be a product tester!

Does anyone remember the episode of Home Improvement where Tim and Al made the man's kitchen? When they were all done making a mess, they closed the doors and hit the self-clean button and it power washed itself. Man, I could use one of those!!!

ceshell Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:33am
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

Does anyone remember the episode of Home Improvement where Tim and Al made the man's kitchen? When they were all done making a mess, they closed the doors and hit the self-clean button and it power washed itself. Man, I could use one of those!!!

I used a self-cleaning bathroom in Paris once! *oh wait, did you really want to know that?* icon_lol.gif

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:40am
post #52 of 56

I could definitely go for a self cleaning kitchen...or a magic wand...pinch me! I'm dreaming!!!!

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:29am
post #53 of 56

If I need most of my fondant the same color I add the color to the liquid before i add the powdered sugar, it is way easier that way. But it doesn't help when i have smaller amounts of different colors. I love the idea of the 'bc machine' that would be so cool. And the self cleaning kitchen is everyone's dream I think. Although for years now I have thought that all kitchens and restaurant kitchens need to have a vacuum under the counter, so when you drop something you can just kick it under that counter and it's automatically sucked up. And you could just sweep all your stuff under their too- and it's gone.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #54 of 56

Oooh I like that idea Liha!

xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

I used a self-cleaning bathroom in Paris once! *oh wait, did you really want to know that?* icon_lol.gif

I remember that eposide! Love to have a self cleaning kitchen but.....Having 3 little boys I'd go for a self-cleaning bathroom anyday! icon_lol.gif

BTW, thanks for the links for colouring your fondant with the ka ceshell.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

You know how they have the machine at Lowe's and Home Depot where you can bring them a swatch of any color and they can make the paint match that exactly. I want a machine like that that will color fondant for me or my BC.

Quote:

I will take one of each please!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%