Gourmet Scratch Recipes?

Baking By servingzero Updated 15 May 2009 , 9:11pm by mcdonald

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

For cake mix and scratch recipes www.wrenscottage.com has a bunch. Click down at the bottom. "From Karens's Kitchen. I really like the scratch "Yellow Cake"

That's awesome, that website made me hungry. Everything sounds so good.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #33 of 48

For cake mix and scratch recipes www.wrenscottage.com has a bunch. Click down at the bottom. "From Karens's Kitchen. I really like the scratch "Yellow Cake"

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cserwa

If I make the cheesecake as a filling and only use half the recipe, can I torte the cheesecake? I'm making a 4-layer carrot cake for Easter, and would like to fill 2 layers with cheesecake and 2 with whipped cream cheese frosting, but I don't know if this 1/2 recipe will be too thin to torte...

I would bake off shorter cheesecake layers rather than torte them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketgirl1899

if you do the cheesecake filling... it needs to be refrigerated right?

Yes, Rocket Munchkin, keep chilled.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #35 of 48

oh I c now..... no offense taken.....

I assumed you had to chill it... I read such dreadful things about keeping iced/fondant covered cakes in the fridge (especially with living in the humid state of FL) that I run and hide from anything calling to be refrigerated.... I need to look it all up on CC, because I really would like to make my own scratch fillings and such. hmm....plus the thought of AB running.... or that I have no idea how I would put a 3 tier cake in my moms refrigerator!

I guess a project for after graduation icon_biggrin.gif I know there is TONS of info on CC about it, i just need to do my HW, and pray that the search bar likes me that month. haha.

Oh and sorry to get off from the OP idea!!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:56am
post #36 of 48

I bookmarked this recipe to attempt to convert it to cake in the future.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/White-Chocolate-Tiramisu-Trifle-with-Spiced-Pears-240701

It's a white chocolate tiramisu trifle with spiced pears. thumbs_up.gif

peanut13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut13 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:19pm
post #37 of 48

Cake_Mooma,
First, I would like to thank you for posting your culinary cake recipe...it's just what I've been looking for. Now, I am conversionally challenged...how would convert the measures to 1/4 the recipe or say if I wanted to bake (2) 8" rounds or 9 x 13". I tried to covert over the weekend but it seemed as if I was doing something wrong.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:35am
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I am planning on trying a green tea sponge cake this week and will post it if it is a hit hehe.

I'm always looking for great scratch recipes too...will keep my eye on this one! Thanks for starting it servingzero.

icon_smile.gif

Just an update...

The recipe I tried was http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-547-Japanese-Green-Tea-Petits-Fours.html

I made this two weeks ago and it was a hit. I paired it with chocolate buttercream & the flavours went well with the colour & design of the cake (my current avatar).

Even though the recipe was for petite fours, I used it for the top tier and baked it in two 6" pans. The base recipe is like a sponge cake so it was quite fluffy hence why I did not use it for the bottom tier - was concerned about its sturdiness.

The only caveat is to make sure you use fine quality matcha powder (a.k.a. green tea powder) from Japan, as some lower quality ones from elsewhere, tend to have a bitter aftertaste.

It is light in flavour and tasted a lot like green tea ice cream like you would get in a Japanese restaurant.

**edited to add**

The recipe calls for it to be baked at 450 which I felt would be too high so I lowered the temp to 325 and it took about 20 mins.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #39 of 48

So glad I came across this!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

The only caveat is to make sure you use fine quality matcha powder (a.k.a. green tea powder) from Japan, as some lower quality ones from elsewhere, tend to have a bitter aftertaste.

What brand of matcha would you recommend? I'll see if it's available here in the states.

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lostincake Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

What brand of matcha would you recommend? I'll see if it's available here in the states.

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sorry it took so long to answer...I got my sample from a friend who gets it wholesale to make ice cream and I was checking with him. His supplier actually says they don't distribute their product to the public so you wouldn't be able to find it in a grocery store.

But my friend did say to just check the package to see where it's made. If it says, "Made in Japan" or "Manufactured in Japan" then you should be fine. They are pretty much made using the same method if it's done in Japan - apparently they strip down the leaves and use only certain parts in Japan whereas other places will use the whole thing which can lead to a more bitter taste.

HTH icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #42 of 48

What a great thread.
I would suggest Colette Peters chocolate-coconut-bourbon cake. It's fabulous.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:33am
post #43 of 48

Matcha! hehe. I miss being in Japan. I cannot stand green tea by itself though. vlin, how much was the matcha powder that you got?

lostincake Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:02am
post #44 of 48

It was a sample from a friend that uses it to make & sell ice cream so it was the best price...FREE lol!

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

I went to this website. Lots of recipes icon_smile.gif Thanks

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:01pm
post #46 of 48

i love that wasc cake thread! i use it allll the time!! the recipes are great! but i do only scratch! i apply the same concept they do to my scratch recipe... replacing milk/water for flavored liquids, adding pudding mixes ands so one!

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:22pm
post #47 of 48

I love to do scratch cakes. I use the Toba Garrett's Moist Yellow Cake recipe, however, I add one box sugar-free pudding mix and two tablespoon oil to the batter. You can't tell the difference in texture to a box mixed cake, but flavor, far better. Now I can't stand the taste of a box cake.

Plus, I use a scale to weigh my ingredients. Sometimes I use 1/4 hi-ratio shortening and 3/4 butter weight as well as hi-ratio (Agrocon) cake flour.

Happy baking.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #48 of 48

Paula Deen has a recipe in one of her books that I have used that uses the cheesecake in the middle and it is wickedly good!! OMG.... the combos are endless!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%