In The Beginning

Business By sugarcheryl Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 12:57am by sugarcheryl

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 4

I would like to know did you made a lot of different changes or made a lot of mistakes. I find that no matter how much I thought I was ready and prepared I find myself second guessing myself or I think I should have done this, I forgot to do this or I forgot to mention this. I also find myself a little anxious when some is coming to make a deposit. I try to be professional and yet give a personal touch. I see other ideas that I may have not thought of so I make some more changes. I'm so glad I'm starting small and at home. Again you think you ready to only find you have a lot to learn about the this business. I told my dh that the next time I do this cake I will charge more.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcheryl

I told my dh that the next time I do this cake I will charge more.

I think that's the most repeated line from CC'ers!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Yes, you are constantly evaluating what you're doing, what's working and what's not.

I'm actually working on writing out my "script" on how to do a consultation Debi's way (in prep for the day that I have others doing the consults .... geesh, I'm amazed I can say that with a straight face! Me ... giving up 'control'! Now that's funny right there!)

Seriously, I had two sales jobs in which we had to memorize a sales script. The logic is "If it works, use it. Don't wing it." I've spent quite a few years working on this script that I use. It covers EVERYTHING. But once in awhile, I'll notice a question that I'm getting from quite a few brides and I'll re-vamp the script to include that information.

It's part of the growing process. You'll also figure out what things work with your personality. I think my biggest compliment was when a groom said to me, as they were leaving, "I can tell you're a hugger! Give me a hug!"

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've re-vamped my intro email that I send out with the preliminary information.

With each day you learn something new that you have to do. (Hey! that rhymes!)

snowynight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowynight Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 4

Don't worry you will get more and more comfortable as you go but always remember you will always be learning. There is not a one of us that hasn't made a mistake, we're only human the point is that you will learn from them and get better and better. Anyone here will always be glad to answer any question so don't hesitate to ask. When I first started I went through what I thought was a million changes. I thought did I do this right and you know what I stood back and looked at it and said yeah I did it right and my customers are pleased and if they aren't and you did everything they wanted then it's their problem not yours.
You are going to be great and be another Sylvia Weinstock so hang in there.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:57am
post #4 of 4

Thank you guys. It's good to know I'm not by myself and here on CC is my sounding board. Yeah I know that giving up control. I think I may try that script thing now so I can have a plan in place to train others. I already have a friend and she is great in the customer service area and sales. She can also bake and she is willing to help me get my business off the ground.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%