Wilton Fondant-Allergy ??????

Decorating By shellycakes123 Updated 25 Jul 2017 , 10:02am by Asutton

shellycakes123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellycakes123 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know if WF is safe for people with nut allergies? Do they make the fondant on equepment that uses nuts etc...

10 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 11

hmmm good question... I went and looked at my can of meringue powder and it doesn't say it was manufactured on equipment that processes tree nuts and peanuts... the wbsite doesn't say anything either. I would give them a call if it's an issue

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 11

Please contact them. I did sometime ago and was not impressed that a lot of the products I was using was not labelled with warnings. I have posted some information on here but I can't find it through the search.

shellycakes123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellycakes123 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 11

ok I will...maybe ill refrain from using it...im doing a barbie cake...icon_sad.gif ill call though

LadyD1625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyD1625 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 11

All their literature says is "certified kosher" - by law, they're required to report if their materials are produced in a factory that also processes nuts!

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 11

I did notice on the Wilton gel colours that I bought a couple of weeks ago that they did have a label on them stating they were "made in a facility that also processes peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, egg, milk, soy and wheat products"

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 11

The only nut type product that comes to mind is the peanut butter candy melts.

About a year ago another Wilton instructor in my area did a class for mothers who had kids that were severly allergic to nuts, without any issue. Mind you I don't know if they did fondant.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyD1625

All their literature says is "certified kosher" - by law, they're required to report if their materials are produced in a factory that also processes nuts!

I know of no such law. I do know they are trying to make it a law. It's my understanding that a lot of food manufacturers do put that on the label as a CYA measure

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 11

You could always just make your own. Several good recipes on CC.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUELA

The only nut type product that comes to mind is the peanut butter candy melts.

All the Wilton candy melts may contain traces of peanuts and nuts - the packages are just not labelled. That means they are NOT safe for consumption by anyone with a sensitivity or allergy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUELA

About a year ago another Wilton instructor in my area did a class for mothers who had kids that were severly allergic to nuts, without any issue. Mind you I don't know if they did fondant.

This is scary...As posted, the paste colours in the larger containers are not peanut/nut free - they've just recently been labelled. The colours that are in the smaller containers (ie princess colours set or the pooh bear colours) are safe.

This topic is near and dear to my heart and scares me to death.

Just found my e-mail - Fondant - no peanuts or tree nuts in it but tree nuts are present in the facility - according to Wilton who add that the information they gave me is "to the best of our knowledge believed to be accurate."

DON'T USE THE FONDANT...MAKE YOUR OWN! thumbs_up.gif

Asutton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Asutton Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 10:02am
post #11 of 11

My son has a milk and egg allergy.  I thought the color spray and candy eyes were safe because it's "processed in a facility" which means a separate line or good manufacturing practices.  We ended up in the hospital after a severe allergic reaction.  Do not take the chance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%